Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Just made my first big mistake with my Leo's :(

I was checking the wet hide (first time in a week) and went to clean it out and my fingers closed around a bit of moss which I went to break up and squish... one brand new Leo egg (my first!) squished :(.

I don't think moss is such a good idea in my egg laying box. Going to get some vermiculite (unless anyone can recommend anything better).

Gutted.

Rich

·
Registered
270 Posts
Try Perlite, I've been using Vermiculite for years and have been getting just bad eggs so trying my luck with Perlite this time. I have heard that it is better than Vermiculite

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I use eco earth in my laying boxes and vermiculite as my incubation medium, I also have an 'Excavation' kit for my eggs, which includes a teaspoon and a little paintbrush.... As I can be very heavy handed sometimes.
Good luck with the rest of your eggs :D

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would just use damp eco earth for your leo's moist hide,its nice & safe for them to dig & bury their eggs in.i personally wouldn't use vermiculite/perlite in the moist hide,just in case the leo ate some,this would do them no good @ all..I would certainly incubate the eggs in the vermiculite/perlite tho:2thumb: Good luck with your next clutch:smile:

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
Please don't use vermiculite or perlite in your laying boxes - they are toxic if eaten.

Use moss or eco earth and just be careful when checking the laying boxes.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Please don't use vermiculite or perlite in your laying boxes - they are toxic if eaten.

Use moss or eco earth and just be careful when checking the laying boxes.
I third this. I dont know about toxicity but its a big impaction problem, I used to use it in my moist hides and caught my geckos eating it so removed it straight away. I dont know what it is that makes it seem nutritious for them?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Wouldn't use vermiculite in a lay box incase leo eats it. I use moss in my laying boxes, then transfer eggs to a vermiculite box when they go in the incubator. The only bad egg's I've had are the ones that weren't fertile in the first place.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
they are toxic.

theres a sticky on the top somewhere about a hatchling crestie that accidently injested some when shedding and it poisioned itself.

its not reversable even if you go to a vet.

use eco earth here :2thumb: but i have a moss eating stupid leo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! So many replies!

Thanks everyone. I have now changed to eco earth in the wet hide to try and stop the problem in the future. I did find one egg that I hadn't squished in the moss still but I'm not sure if it will survive considering the treatment it got. I have put it in the incubator anyway just to be on the safe side and will have a better idea if it's going to survive in a few weeks time.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woo! Just checked the egg laying box and what is sitting in the depths of the eco earth but 2 brand new eggs!

Thank you so much to everyone. I don't feel like I am going loose any to my heavy hands anymore! Paint brush and tea spoon for egg excavation worked a treat as well!

Does anyone know if it is OK to wash off the excess eco earth that is stuck to the egg’s or if it is best to leave it (I have brushed off as much as I can with a paint brush but didn’t like the idea of wetting the eggs).

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hi,don't wet the eggs,this will harm them,they will be fine with dirt on,most of my eggs always look a little "grubby",be carefull not to turn the eggs when moving them to your incubation tub,though i did drop/bounce one of mine:eek4:,by accident,still hatched out a beautifull healthy gecko..Good luck!:2thumb:
Vicky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts