Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think i made it to the egg on time :(
I has started to indent, has red veins in it tho.

So basically im asking if they stay round untill the are ready to hatch or do they indent in the incubator?

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry forgot to mention been in the bator for 2-3 days now :(

im gutted.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
is the substrate damp? egg could have dried out but can stil be saved... if it has pink veins chances are its ok x

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i give the substrate a misting sort of every 2 days, i does still have pink/red veins in, but unfortunatly i didnt have chance to get vermiculite (mainly cause i cant find it!, tried garden centres etc.) so on damp spag moss, i have heard this is ok as long as it is kept moist, and i am worried if i try to change it now i could do even more damage :(

And btw thanks for the reply, they are not coming as fast as i expected :lol2:, impatient u see :D

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
haha dunno if many people are about

when you mist the substrate are you sure not to spray the egg? x

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yup i try not to.
What would happen if you get the egg out of cauriosity? excuse spelling if its wrong :lol2:

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
as long as you don't really tilt it or rotate it then it shouldn't be too bad, just gotta be really careful x

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how long should it take before i notice a change in the egg?
at the mo the only visible thing inside it are the veins, i am wondering this because if it doesnt progress any further its not worth carrying on incubating it, is there?

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
increase the humidity try placing damp moss over the egg this always helped for me. you can order vermiculite online and you're more likely to find pearlite in garden centres this can be used also.

if you catch the egg with water also if condensation drips on the egg it can cause hypothermic shock and kill the egg.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah i see. i hope it survives but ive not got high hopes. i will be gutted as im sure everyone would be, but i didnt intend to breed or sell, she came gravid. but i feel as though i might have killed a poor leo and would have loved the expierence of raising it :( so frustrating.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
how long should it take before i notice a change in the egg?
at the mo the only visible thing inside it are the veins, i am wondering this because if it doesnt progress any further its not worth carrying on incubating it, is there?

always incubate eggs untill they are flat, black and stink. you'd be amazed at the eggs that have hatched and produced the most beautiful babies. it's fine, don't worry too much they're very hardy things. it'll take a day or two for it to plumpen back up water absortion isn't instantanious.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as far as im aware she has laid 2 lots of 2 eggs, is it possible she may lay more? and also i might (not sure tho) another gravid female that came to me which also apperently laid 1 lot of 2 eggs. so might be hope i get my dream in the future. :mf_dribble:

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
ah i see. i hope it survives but ive not got high hopes. i will be gutted as im sure everyone would be, but i didnt intend to breed or sell, she came gravid. but i feel as though i might have killed a poor leo and would have loved the expierence of raising it :( so frustrating.

chill out! don't be so hard on yourself. it is most likely alive, eggs are more hardy than you think. i've seen flat mouldy eggs hatch.

a white egg with a little dent is by no means a gonner.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
as far as im aware she has laid 2 lots of 2 eggs, is it possible she may lay more? and also i might (not sure tho) another gravid female that came to me which also apperently laid 1 lot of 2 eggs. so might be hope i get my dream in the future. :mf_dribble:
they can lay in the region of 8 clutches of two eggs every 3-5 weeks.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is still hope for me then :D, i wish i had a bit more time between when i got her to when she laid lol, i only had her 2 weeks or something, she was still settling in my eyes, but no she thought she would spit them out so soon after arriving :lol2:

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,615 Posts
Keep a bottle of water in the incubator - use this for when you have to mist, don't mist the egg. Keep the lid on the incubation tub to stop the moss drying out - just open it briefly every 3 or 4 days to get some fresh air in there. Try not to mist too often - if the lid is on it should not dry out.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ah my pearl of wisdom has arrived :2thumb: taken onboard the tips! :notworthy:

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,615 Posts

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·