Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 or 6-week old leopard gecko, it's my first reptile but I've pretty much learned all the basics. What I need now is for someone to tell me if there's a better way of doing some of these basic things. I want to make it clear, I know how to keep them alive, it's their quality of life that I want to maximize.

1. I'm considering getting a second enclosure with either another Leo or a crested gecko. I experimented with all the light/heating types so I already have a full setup lying around but only 1 dimming and 1 Mat thermostat (both HabiStat). Could I connect multiple bulbs into a single thermostat? I would be using Arcadia deep Heat projector (50w and 80w) with a single dimming thermostat. If this is possible, can I just connect an extension cable or something to the thermostat? Or is there a specific way to do this? If this is not possible, Would a Mat Stat thermostat (on/off) have any negative effects on the effectiveness/durability of the Deep heat projector?

2. How close can I house the two enclosures without affecting the residents? If I decide to go for another Leo I would stack the viv vertically, if I got a crested gecko I would have to place them next to each other on the table.Either way I wouldn't want them to smell the other guy and constantly be stressed.

3. This one is just for the sake of my sanity. Crickets. Hate them. With locust, I just drop a few in and watch the little guy have fun. but crickets just vanish into every crevice and hide like maniacs. My viv is too complicated to remove all the deco each feeding so I came up with an idea- put an acrylic box in the viv with a single, gecko sized door and drop the crickets in, do you think a literal-feeding box would work for a leopard gecko or would a Leo just ignore it.

Here's my lil guy for your enjoyment.>

·
Registered
424 Posts
1) You can use a stat to control multiple heat sources but only of the same wattage and type. So you couldnt use one for a bulb and a stat. Mat stat would work fine with a deep heat projector.

2) It doesn't really matter

3) Locusts are a better food source anyway so just offer them. Better that than worms.

Other points, make sure you have UVB. Also add a proper substrate so they can dig like they would in nature.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I would disagree about using a single stat for multiple heat sources. The thermostat only has 1 probe, so you can only monitor the temperature in that enclosure. If the heat source of that enclosure fails, itll set the other heat sources to 100%, which could cause issues

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) You can use a stat to control multiple heat sources but only of the same wattage and type. So you couldnt use one for a bulb and a stat. Mat stat would work fine with a deep heat projector.

2) It doesn't really matter

3) Locusts are a better food source anyway so just offer them. Better that than worms.

Other points, make sure you have UVB. Also add a proper substrate so they can dig like they would in nature.
Thank you, that answers my questions, and yeah i have a uvb and im building him a sandbox with eco earth. I dont want the whole enclosure to be loose substrate.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would disagree about using a single stat for multiple heat sources. The thermostat only has 1 probe, so you can only monitor the temperature in that enclosure. If the heat source of that enclosure fails, itll set the other heat sources to 100%, which could cause issues
I didn't say I recommended it haha, just that it can be done if all heat sources are the same. I agree with you on the multiple vivs idea. But for example I have a few large enclosures with multiple lamps to create a large basking area, so 2 or 3 bulbs on the same stat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh right... i didnt even think of the probe... well..
I guess my reptiles are on a steady diet of cash now.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I didn't say I recommended it haha, just that it can be done if all heat sources are the same. I agree with you on the multiple vivs idea. But for example I have a few large enclosures with multiple lamps to create a large basking area, so 2 or 3 bulbs on the same stat.
Good Point, I also have 3 bulbs in one enclosure wired up to a single stat, I was specifically referring to multiple vivs :)

Reactions: LiasisUK
1 - 7 of 7 Posts