Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: please can you advise on the best way to start handling a leopard gecko. I have had mine since August when she was 10 weeks old but am no nearer to making her comfortable with me. She has settled into the viv, and will sometimes stand on my hand but will almost hyperventilate and runs for the closest hide if I try to pick her up. what do you suggest.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
spend some time with your hand just lying in the viv after a while she will realise that you are no threat. They usually calm down as they get older/bigger. Don't give up on her i'm sure she will get there eventually.

Della

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
my gecko still hates me and ive had her several months now. just leaving her to it now, she doesnt need to be handled so theres no point stressing her out over it. hope u have better luck with urs

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
I have 7 to deal with at the min but only 4 months old, some used to run away but I would still pick them up and let them walk around on my hand and arm, they are now used to being handled. Its just about letting them trust you in a way, knowing they are not going to get hurt, as many run as a defensive measure.

Can be a bit different with adults if they haven't been handled much. My BTS where very much the same but are now a cinch to handle. :wink:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Blazey wrote
my gecko still hates me and ive had her several months now.
:lol: lol you made me chuckle there.aww im sure she doesnt hate you.probley just one of the scardycat ones.

My 2 juvies are really scared to.each day i go in and make a point of picking them up one at a time and just holding them in my hands inside the viv and close to the viv floor.That way if they decide to scramble for it they aint going to hurt them self by jumping.They do get used to it over time.one of mine is still a little nervousebut she came onto my hand outside the viv for the first time last night so she should be the same.just dont make any sudden noise or movments and you should be fine.good luck! :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
its funny, i can tame a bosc but not a leopard gecko. this is were i am coming from when i say not all 'starter' lizards are whats right for u.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
hehe i see your point.stuborn thing! maybe a fish? :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
only the best lizard ever! i have no pics to hand to show u so just search on google images for bosc monitor :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts