Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have had a albino gecko for approx 4 months and a normal leo in with him for the last 2 months.

Both gecko's dont seem to like eating brown crickets but them will quite happily eat waxworms until they explode, which i know is not good!

I have tried several different things to try and get them to eat crickets, i managed to get them to eat one each the other day by using tweezers but they werent interested after that.

I have a wooden tank with a heat mat covering a third underneath vegetable bark substrate. with two hides, one in the warm and one in the cool.

Also the albino seems to like diging down to the heat mat and lying directly on top of it!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried mealworms once a while back with the albino but he wasnt interested, is it worth trying that again?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Feeding them too many waxworms is the problem. They should only be offered as a treat to leo's maybe a couple of times a week.

Waxies are like crack to leo's and other lizards...once you start feeding them to many they will start to reject other food. I suggest you stop feeding your leo's for 2 days and then offer crickets again. If they still refuse you will have to ween them off of them slowly by only giving one waxworm and leting a few crickets run free.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If you stop feeding them waxworms they will probably eat the crickets...i mean if someone kept offering you donuts and then gave you a brussel sprout would you eat it? No (not unless you were a bit odd!!) just starve them for a few days..it won't harm them and will get them eating crickets properly..

as for the heat mat...try putting in a rock on top of the mat..this will warm during the day and hold the heat at night..hopefully they should lie on the rock to warm up rather than the mat...as for rock type would use granite..takes a long time to warm up buts also holds the heat longer..you could also use sandstone but it tends to cool quickly..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive tried several times leaving it a couple of days then trying crickets but it doesnt seem to work, would it be worth trying meal worms again or leaving them a few more days then trying crickets again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i personally would offer my gecko sum locoste!! bit of a change you would get bord eating the same thing over n over! i have 2 geckos n sway over with locoste n crickets!! the same with my beardies!!

but i would try the rock thing. i have done this with mine n it works very well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would do but the girlfriend isnt happy with me having locust's in the house! what is the general view on meal worms, as they love wax worms can you not trick them?! im probably talking rubbish but im inexperienced!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
locusts are good and a varied menu is a good menu..mealworms are not the best food to feed all the time...they will eat crickets if starved for a bit...they can go without food for easy 14 days so give it 3/4 then try...

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 2 i dnt let have waxworms as this problem can happen!! i offer mine mealworms n a mixture of locust n crickets!! n they are fine now. just as people have said strave it for 3-4 days n go from there its will b like starting over again

·
Registered
477 Posts
Waxies and locusts both become very addictive to leo's. If you are going to feed waxies or locust do it once a week or something.

Your Leo's will not starve to death if he has been eating waxies alot then I would imagine he has a good fat store in his tail by now so put a couple of crickets in over night and see what happen after a couple of days not eating.

Cheers : victory:

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
cant believe your girlfriend prefers crix to hoppers,get some 3rd hoppers the are cute really not creepy like crickets,they are a perfect size for leos too,i feed mine crix one day hoppers the next and alternate then once a fortnight as many waxies as he wants in one sitting,usually 7-8 fat git,he is bigger than your average leo tho,ive heard about squishing the waxies up n smearing them onto the crix sounds rank to me but i bet it works,you could also try feeding crix and when they take a few reward with a waxie heard that works too,good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well its been a while now and my gecko's still dont appear to be eating properly, tried several things but i just cant get them to eat normally, im looking after a friends two leaopards and as soon as you put crickets in with them they dive on them where as with mine they dont seem interested, the crickets hide away and the gecko's dont look for them. even if i take the hides etc out they still dont bother most of the time. i may see them eat one or two crickets every now and then.

Anyone got any more ideas!? another thing aswell, is my viv big enough (16" wide x 16" depth)

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
try hoppers i really think that would help,i hate mealies and never use them myself but you could try,dont give in and feed waxies they are worse than kids at holding out,keep offering mealies,hoppers crix each night they will eat when hungry,it seems harsh but they wont starve,if that really worries you feed a waxie then a cricket or hopper they will learn all food it good,and comes with a reward,hope that helps and try not to worry:smile:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update....

I have found a poo in the viv and it is a cluster of substrate! i had changed to corncob but then realised this was bad!

I am now using calci sand, which i have just put in today. They are paying no attention what so ever to the crickets now but is this likely to sort things. What i cant get my head around is how i have never really seen them with much of an appetite since i got them and they very rarely eat (apart from when i stupidly used to give them endless amount of wax worms!) but they still have fat tails and look really healthy!

Anyone got any more ideas? is my viv big enough 17" long, 15"wide, 18" height.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
seems they are messy eaters id ditch the calci sand too,if they ate the corncob chances are they will eat the sand too,impaction is deadly unless caught really early,not worth the worry IMO my leo was on sand but he took in a fair bit with each cricket/hopper/waxie he ate,then didnt poo for 2 weeks,i changed to lino(which is said to give off fumes at high heats,but presume with leo temps of 90 max its no problem,i could be wrong but mines ok)the lino is easy to clean no more substrate poos and a leo with a healthy appetite,that said they vary in eating habits,mine sometimes starves himself 2-3 days sometimes eats 2 crixs sometimes eats 10,if they have fat tails they wont come to much harm for a week or 2,so adult leos only eat 6/7 crix a week(i read that somewhere)hope that helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah thats great thanks, do you just use any normal floor lino.

The calci sand is supposed to be digestable i thought

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all,
I have had a albino gecko for approx 4 months and a normal leo in with him for the last 2 months.

Both gecko's dont seem to like eating brown crickets but them will quite happily eat waxworms until they explode, which i know is not good!

I have tried several different things to try and get them to eat crickets, i managed to get them to eat one each the other day by using tweezers but they werent interested after that.

I have a wooden tank with a heat mat covering a third underneath vegetable bark substrate. with two hides, one in the warm and one in the cool.

Also the albino seems to like diging down to the heat mat and lying directly on top of it!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
have you tried black crickets my were not eatin but i just put the dish right next to the hide for them to eat it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts