Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so same old story, newb asking about his Leo.
Ive had mine for 6 years now since he was 6 weeks old, and ive never had a moisture hide. But ive never had problems with shedding, no left over skin in the viv or on him.
I dont often see him actually shedding, but for a while i havent seen him turn his usual dull grey before he sheds, which is something i usually see.
I also dont spray much as humidity tends to build quickly in his viv.
I'm now possibly thinking about a moisture hide, as ive recently switched to sand and conditions are a slightly more dry, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
All of our leos have wet hides. It's just personal preference.

I am surprised though you've never had problems with his feet shedding, guess the humidity must be quite high in there.

Drop a wet hide in there and see if he uses it :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
you wouldnt really wana add a moist hide if the humidity was high....

Ours has a moist hide which he hasnt stepped foot in, he has shed twice only in the 3 and a half weeks we have had him without problems.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the advice, its really appreciated.
Gona get another hide and some sphagnum moss. Ive not used moss before so are there any tips on maintaining it? How long does it last usually if sprayed reguarly? Also ive heard several different opinions on where the moist hide should be positioned, i would have thought it would be in the cool end? but again any advice is greatly welcomed!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
has my leo years now and he's never had a humid hide and he's only ever been sprays about twice since I have him! Never had a problem.. in fact I'm yet so see him shed, maybe he never has :lol2:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
mikeyp
if u havent had one mate and everyhtings been fine for 6 years i honestly wouldnt worry mate

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have always had a wet hide with mine but i only put it in when she is about to shed and she always uses it, i only take it out as she spends most of her time in it otherwise

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
i have one now but i didnt at first , my leos had a shed each fine without it but having one does help them quiet a bit :grin:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Same again here. I have had leos for nearly 12 years and none of them have ever had a moist hide, nor have any of them ever had sheding problems. also, I find it interesting that everyone says they never see their leos shed, as I quite frequently see them.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
If it aint broke why fix it :lol:
I never used a mois hide fo my leo's, i only did when i was breeding them.
But if you do see that he or she is having a bad shed then put one in there ... also when you nect get him/her out check the fingers and toes, just to check there is no stuck skin etc and on the tip of the tail etc

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
my leos have one but i only seem to ever catch 1 of themin it.the rest of them just poo in there so if you have got a humid viv and u havnt used one before and he sheds ok then carry on with what u were doing.he must be ok if you have had him 6 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts