Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Been looking after geckos for a while now and have bred and sold now and again. Just wondering the general prices other breeders use.

So far my prices have been

speckled mack snow - £85
hypos - £50
Tremper and Bell albinos - £45-50
Fat tail gecko - £40
blazing blizzard - £60
normal - £30.

should I be going higher or lower for any of these? This year I've bred magnum to Kate so a mix of super hypos and normals, how much should I charge for the supers? I bought Magnum for £50. I haven't had any complaints, I'm just wondering what the average selling/buying price is for these morphs.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I thought £30 was a bit high for a normal?

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
they all seem like a good price but i have seen normals selling for £25 in about 5 reptile shops.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
see i assumed you were talking hatchling prices....
age makes a huge difference.

in regards to prices in general it kinda depends who you are selling to, ie at a show, local pick up advertised online/papers or selling to a shop etc.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
see i assumed you were talking hatchling prices....
age makes a huge difference.

in regards to prices in general it kinda depends who you are selling to, ie at a show, local pick up advertised online/papers or selling to a shop etc.
do they lose or gain value as they age?

it'll just be to other hobbyists, like local pick up/delivery.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
they gain value.
about 50% added once it hits an adult/breeder size id imagine.

as you can understand, an adult has had amny money spent on its food and care...plus will pay for itself if bred sucesfully whereas a baby has no way of doing this, and hasnt had months and months of care and food. [and mainly space to house]

if you are selling locally then you just want to be cheaper than the shops around your area, by how much is up to you and depends on what local competition you have.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Kimmy - the fact that your normal is a proven female then yes £30 is a good price but I thought you were initially talking about hatchlings.

I got my youngest female for £20 but was charged an extra £5 due to collection arrangements.

I'd be interested to know what you would sell the morphs you are talking about for.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kimmy - the fact that your normal is a proven female then yes £30 is a good price but I thought you were initially talking about hatchlings.

I got my youngest female for £20 but was charged an extra £5 due to collection arrangements.

I'd be interested to know what you would sell the morphs you are talking about for.
The prices are what I've used over the past when I've bred the geckos, so it wouldn't be anything more than a hobby-type thing. Like for example, Kate's gravid now and I won't be able to keep all of the babies so I'll have to sell them. I was just wanting to know if I was being ripped off or if I was asking too much lol. Most of the prices were for adults or sub-adults, any young babies I've been selling at around £15-£20 because they were normal/baby hypos.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
well those prices sound very good to me.
Good luck.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sounds good.

I have been meaning to post a thread about this for a few weeks now but since this thread is on prices I will post my query here.

I have been offered a Mac Snow for £20 from a well established breeder that is local to me. I mentioned this to a friend of mine and she was surprised it was for £20 and not more.

I don't really know the full spec of the Mac Snow but just wanted to know what people would be wiling to pay for one? I'm guessing it is a one-copy Mac Snow as I was always lead to believe that a two copy would be dearer to buy.

whats peoples thoughts on this?

The leo in question is an adult male unsure if he is proven.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
mac snow for 20 quid id snap it up for sure.
id have thought a hatchling mack snow [full, not just het obviously] would be twice that and still "breeders price"

edit-sorry didnt read it right.
what i said above is for hatchlings.
awesome price for an adult, male also.. only thing that would make it not worth so much would be if it were infertile..however still a damn good price for a pet.
unless its like super old? :)

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I think the prices look about right, the mack maybe a little expensive, unless its exceptional colour and breeding size etc. I personally think £30 for normals is fine. If you bred them youself and put the time and effort in to rear them, someone will be willing to pay that knowing its been raised well and is healthy. I worry if I sell too cheap they will just be bought as a bargain, and not because they are really wanted.

Rou, a one copy mack snow is a nomal mack snow. A two copy is called a Super Snow. £20 is indeed very cheap for a mack, you would usually be looking at 50-60, and nearer/over £100 for a super. And thats for sub-adults. If you trust the person thats great, if you have any doubt I would question why he's so cheap!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think the prices look about right, the mack maybe a little expensive, unless its exceptional colour and breeding size etc. I personally think £30 for normals is fine. If you bred them youself and put the time and effort in to rear them, someone will be willing to pay that knowing its been raised well and is healthy. I worry if I sell too cheap they will just be bought as a bargain, and not because they are really wanted.

Rou, a one copy mack snow is a nomal mack snow. A two copy is called a Super Snow. £20 is indeed very cheap for a mack, you would usually be looking at 50-60, and nearer/over £100 for a super. And thats for sub-adults. If you trust the person thats great, if you have any doubt I would question why he's so cheap!
(as you can guess i still have a lot of studying to d in terms of leo morphs) but yeah thats what my friend recommended a normal mac snow would cost and same for the super.

Redgex- from what I remember i believe this mac snow is 2/3 years old. something like that.

I think i will go for it. but will definalty ask questions before hand.

The seller of this mac snow is highly recommended by many, he also sells the odd hatchling/juvenile in the reptile shop he works in.

He is actually a member on here but I don't know of his name on here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts