Reptile Forums banner

Leo shed problem/ closing eye w/pics

800 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Spider Call 
#1 ·
My leopard gecko has shed about a week ago, but shes not shed some on her head and it seems to be preventing her from opening her left eye, she can open it a little but not fully.
Ive bathed her and wetted her head over the dry skin, Ive also tried using zoo meds shed aid a few times (dabbing it on the dry skin using a cotton bud) I was very cautious using the shed aid stuff near her eyes, not sure if it would harm her if it got in them. Plus she is still pritty skittish.

Here is a couple of pics

Any ideas what I can try?

See less See more
#3 ·
Olive oil also works well :) watch you avoid her swallowing a load though.

#4 ·
I have a couple with shedding problems on their eyes, including one of this years hatchlings. I use this method, works brilliantly every time.

Get some nice warm water in a bowl, soak a couple of cotton buds in it so they absorb a bit of water. Then rub gently from the back of the head across the eye and repeat. Only rub forwards as this will loosen the skin. You will notice it peeling forwards after a little bit, carry on rubbing over the closed eye and on the skin peeling forwards.
The main thing is to make sure you get the skin over the eye nice and wet, it should all peel off as one. Remember to keep dipping the cotton bud so it stays wet, you should be able to see water on the animals head, but don't get it over the nostrils.

NOTE: Please be very gentle, a friend of mine wasn't, and didn't wet the skin enough. She yanked the skin off and tore the geckos eye leaving it blind.

#5 ·
Cant edit for some stupid reason.
But I wouldn't advise leaving it for a couple of days in the chance she will use a moist hide to remove it. I've got a girl blind in one eye because of that. Her owner decided she would do it herself and left her to it. She didn't get it off. By the time I got her it was too late. Only one eye survived.

Reactions: Rawwwrchazli
#6 ·
I agree with Spider Call
It's better to get it off ASAP especially as it been a week.
If she's scatty, try calmly talking to her while you work with her, and if it's a tail drop you're worried about, I had to man handle a 7g baby this morning to help him shed and all I got was pooped on!
TWICE!

Reactions: organized chaos
#7 ·
I had the man handle a very skittish 4.2g baby on it's second shed! She got it stuck completely over her head and eyes. I got bitten and pooped on :blush: On the plus side she kept her tail and now thinks I'm awesome as I fed her a waxworm after doing it.
As for the talking, do it! Nice calm talking seems to keep them calm. The little gecko with MBD only sits still long ebough for me to do his/her feet while being talked to. And you can't open/close one of my girls viv without her freaking unless you talk the whole time.

#9 ·
Cool, thanks for all the tips. I have to pop out in a bit but as soon as I get back i'll Have another shot at getting it off.
She had this problem last time she shed too, but a little shed aid and by the morning it was all off.

I'll let you know how it goes later
Thanks again:2thumb:

#10 ·
Hope you get on ok and that it comes off nice and easy ^_^
Works brilliantly on toes too :p Though I also incorporate the use of a very fine blade on the toes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.