Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my leo shed 13 days ago and hasnt eaten since. i asked last week how long they could go without food for and was told a healthy leo could go quite a long time, but a fecal was advised. she has only lost 2 grams in the 2 weeks without food and is still active, but she hasnt pooed, only passed urates. without her eating again is there any way of getting a poo from her or can a vet test anything else for parasites? she still weighs 91 grams and was a bit fat before she stopped eating anyway so im not terribly worried.

i was told that her not eating could be down to too much light disturbing her, so i have started covering the front of her vivarium with a pale sheet which still lets some light through during the day. i was also told she may just be bored and going through a fase and that changing her viv around may help, which ive done and still nothing. can anyone help? she went to the vets last week and he thought she seemed fine, but didnt want to do a fecal test then while i had a poo, and now i dont have one.
her hot end is 88.5, her cool end is about 68-71. she has lots of hides, newspaper substrate, heated with heat mat.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Have you tried different feeders then she is normally used to? Both my females eat very little this time of year. Also I have read quite a bit about females going on hunger strikes when they are ovulating. I find that most captive leos are carrying plenty of extra weight so they can become choosey about the food they eat if they get bored of something. My male for example like all things worm related and will actually pick through what is given to him and only eat those leaving all the crickets alone.

I personally would give it some time other then trying different feeders. If you notice a real change in other behaviours or significant weight loss then you can take her to the vet and see why they think. Also if you can you could try bumping the hot side temps into the mid 90's and see if that gets her feeding again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts