Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi again lol so many questions

im buying a viv in a week for my first reptiles ( leo's) and what should i fill the bottom of the viv with ? sand ? stones ?

can anyone put up a picture of there leo's viv so i can look ?
i also need help naming them there gonna be 2 females

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Reptile carpet/ lino/floor tiles, theres lots of choices, I dont own leos but when i was looking at getting some i was told NOT to use sand of any sort, especially calci-sand, they activley seek out calcium and will eat the calci-sand

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
to add...
and despite what it says on the bags of the calci sand..eating it is anything but beneficial to the reps.

Id use Something that isnt particle based if it was young or until u get used to the leos habits.
So all the things mentioned above really, kitchen floor type stuff, tiles, cork tiles, slate chippings would be fine for some of the viv, bit uncomfy for under the hides etc.
Persoanlly, id have playsand for the most part and just leave an area around where your goin to introduce the live food without any.

·
Registered
766 Posts
i used wood chippings when i had leos and didnt have any problems but everyone has theyre own opinion

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i use reptiel bark, looks nice, is steril and can be cleaned out fairly easily.
i tried sand and cali-sand mixed together didnt get along and my leo go sick

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
sand

i tried fine bird sand with my leos they didnt seem to have any problems but i dont think it lookes very nice as it shows up cricket poop,im now using exoterra desert sand u can get it in black,natural and red i think. ive been using it for about 9weeks and no problems to report yet. my female constantly has it in betweeen her toes but that because she spends most of time sat in water dish an id gets stuck to her soggy feet lol :p

·
Registered
336 Posts
i'd keep them on brown packing paper til theyre a bit bigger. its easy to clean cos you just chuck it in the bin :) and looks a little nicer than newspaper or kitchen roll. one bit of advice thoug, tape the paper with masking tape as crickets and worms have a knack of hiding undeneith, you'll even find a couple after they are taped too! oh ad definatly use masking tape or you end up with sticky patches with assortments of cricket parts attatched! when you take it off.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
You will always get contradictions on this, But I use Play Sand for my geckos I moved them onto it a few weeks ago. I have a couple over 6 months old and 5 under 6 months old. I won't comment on calci sand as I have never used it if it caused as many problems as the experts made out then I am sure it would probably be removed from shops. I did use desert sand with geckos I had last year but its quite expensive to buy.

Just don't listen to all the rubbish you hear about sand, there will be exceptions for everything, but it looks a lot better than most things and I know someone who breeds 100s of lizards a year and has them on sand from day one.

I would go with personal preference on what you like the look of from all the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts