Reptile Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Fantastic piece of work Mel. Ive told you before and I will say it again. You should write a book about caring for leos. Of all the books available, most are basic guides (not many UK ones) or focussed mainly on leo morphs. Im sure there is a place for a guide that is written from experience and in a way that people can relate to.
:blush: thanks Mal that means a lot ~ I don't know if I'd do a book though as to be honest even after all these years I'm still learning new things myself and I am by no means an authority on leos.......... and sides which when would I get the time to write it :lol2::lol2:

·
Registered
182 Posts
TY

Good on you for taking the time to write that barrie piece.Ive done lots of research and got my son one for his birthday he only 1month old (geks that is ha)I will be looking out for anymore advice you put on.
TY:2thumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
moar scenting behaviours!

Brilliant post :D

They have lots of great behaviours and I've seen a lot of these!

Something one of my leos did when I moved her to a temporary tank (which previously had a snake in - but I had cleaned/disinfected it as best I could) was quite odd.

She licked her face as much as she could (flicking her tounge out the side of her mouth stretching back really far - looked weird almost like a crestie!) and then would rub her face along the sides of the tank.

The other thing she did was much like bears scent mark. She licked her front feet and then stretched up as high as she could on her back legs (to make herself appear bigger I guess!) and would rub her hands high up on the sides of the tank!

One of my leos is very talkative. Shes quite a bit heavier than the others and if taken out and forced to excersise she sometimes makes a straining 'groan' if pulling herself up, and will chatter when shes had enough and wants to go back. The others are silent most of the time.

Another thing - my girls did have some disagreements the first couple of months but since they seem to have settled down. Instead they lick each others faces when they see each other - is this some sort of 'who are you' or scenting messages?

They make me giggle! :2thumb:

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
leo behaviour questions have cropped up a couple of times recently both in threads and pm's so thought it worth bumping this up for people as opposed to pointing them to the link : victory:

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Top effort!:no1:

I agree with Mal that a book that deals with Leopard Geckos, without just focussing on breeding pretty skin patterns is really needed. I have a book at home and, to be honest, I almost wonder whether the author has ever watched any Leopard Geckos. There is a load of rubbish information in the book - you had more useful and interesting information in your short article than I found in the entire book!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
:blush: thanks ~ glad you found it informative : victory:
As to a printed effort ... that may be in the pipeline at a later date when I have more time to collate all my personal studies, scribbles etc into a coherent format ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Xcellent very informative well done max. Kudos to you

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,608 Posts
I have always said that SleepyD should write a book on Leos (have tried a few times to persuade her lol). Most books that are available here are either fairly out of date or American (no offense to our friends across the pond but there are a few differences in things like equipment / livefood availablity etc.)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My male leo which is a whopper still shakes his tail before pouncing on its prey, he's still a little kid inside :p

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
very good, printed off and put in folder of general notes. thank you :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
superb read sleepy :2thumb: loads of top info there :no1:

thanks for taking the time to put this together and sharing

21 - 32 of 32 Posts