Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please help?l have lowered the temp of my geckos home for the cooling period and l want to know do you feed them during this time,lower the amount of food or just not feed them at all during this time?please help!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi im the same situation as you,

but thisis what i have learnyt and understand
1) you dont have to lower temp is up to tbreeder, i have lowered mine as ihave neevr done breeding before might as well go by this way in my opinion anyway. lol

2) You keep feeding the same if not more, with calcium dust on each bit of food, thishelps the gecko out and also helps the eggs grow

3) Breeding geckos under 10 months is not good, and they should really be up to 50g if not 60g before you try.

This particular time is out of season for breeding, so the geckos themselves may not be interested especialy the females. lol typicall hah.

Hope this helps

Need any more help please say

there are many amazing gecko breeders here, purejurassic, fazoor somthing not sure rest of his name sorry, anthony is god, hopefully these gys wil pck up ion this thread and help you

Cheers

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Uhm...Hmmm....I didnt cool mine to breed them so forgive me if Im wrong but if you are cooling them wouldnt you stop feeding them? As the temps arent high enough to digest their food it is just going to sit in their stomach and rot?

Its after you bring them back upto temps that you start feeding them rather heavily isnt it?

Like I said I didnt cool mine so Im not sure...But thats how it is with snakes.... :lol:

·
Registered
719 Posts
sorry i may be wrong my fault, i thought that was the case sorry, you can also ruduce their light to 11 hours tom mimic winter but entitley up to breeder!!!

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi
Some breeders do cool leos out of season.

I personally dont, I use this out of season period to ensure that they are eating properly, putting on weight lost whislt laying and in general good health.

Leos whilst they do store fat reserves have a faster matabolism then snakes, and I wouldnt have thought they would last 3 months or so with no food. I dont know this for sure, but would like to try to find out.

As I understand it, the cooling is not as dramatic as snakes, I know some snake keepers who put thiers up in the loft. I have a trio of ball pythons and plan to drop the temps a bit, but not a great deal.

My advice with leos is dont worry about cooling them, but if you want to do some more research or if any one else has experiance cooling leos, I would be interested in hearing it aswell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
During the colder months leos will tend to eat less and be less active. However you should continue to offer food. It is important to build up the calcium reserves of females you intend to breed.
It’s best if the female is 60g or more as she will loose weight as she produces eggs.

Also I have found that they will breed at pretty much anytime of year but I mate mine during March time so the young hatch during summer.

Make sure you know everything you need to before you intruduce the male. If you need any help just ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts