Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there just got a male and female leopard gecko and would like to know if they do bread what is the best thing to do to hatch the eggs? i have read up on it but would like to know some professional veiws. if someone could please pm me it would mean alot to me thanks :D Davie

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi Davie,

People have various views on this topic, some believe that the eggs should be left in the viv and that the heat should go up and down as normal because some think that this produces hardier hatchlings. But a lot of others, including myself, believe that the eggs should be put in an incubator, you could buy one or make one, it's your choice.

But here's a link to a very good incubator:
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=293

Hope I helped!

Thx
Matt

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
I personally would remove the eggs as soon as I find them.

They should be placed in a small container containg either moss or vermiculite. this should be wet but not dripping.

Take care to place the eggs in exactly the same position as you find them. this is because as the embryo develops, it attatches viens to the top of the egg. If the egg is then twisted or placed upside down, the embryo can drown inside. Best wat to ensure this is to gently mark the top with a felt pen. then you will always know what it the top.

The conatainers we use have no air holes. this allows the humidity to remain. If large drops form on the lid, they can be wiped away. the Egg must not get wet or mould will form.

The container should be place in a suitable incubator at temps between 80 and 88 f. different tems affect the sex of the babies.

Incubators are simply boxes that can maintain a temp. Poly boxes with heat mats, glass tanks with heated water are both used by many. I use an old fridge, whit a tube heater, (soon to be updated to a double unit)

Depending on temps incubation will be for 45-65 days on ave. in this time, watch for any changes such as sinking, drying out, mould and take action to remidy it by changing container and substrate, reapplying moisture etc.

Once the egg hatches, leave the baby in the container for about 6 hours or so, then transfer to a hatchling box, with paper towel as a substrate. Dont worry to much if there seems to be a blob of 'gunk' on its tummy, its the remains of the egg ang will be absorbed by the hatchling.

Provide water, but not food. do not feed until you see evidence of a small green poo. this will be the first shed that is eaten and passed. after this, feed on first instar crickets until the hatchling grows, then increase the size. Dont forget to dust with supplements

Hey presto, a happy healthy leo!

Hope this helps

Tony

·
Registered
283 Posts
the above comment is about right. only thing i will stress to you mate is make sure you give the female enough calcium so that she will have no problem with the eggs.
Spoon :-D

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
reptilemanspoon said:
the above comment is about right. only thing i will stress to you mate is make sure you give the female enough calcium so that she will have no problem with the eggs.
Spoon :-D
Only about right !!! :shock:

I got 48 sucsessful hatchlings this year, with only 3 dud eggs and 1 death proir to hatching.

I call that pretty darn close to spot on ! 8)

I did consider going into the preperation for breeding, but that was not the question being asked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.