Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I recently made a post about my gecko's issues with feeding and thanks to the valuable advice I was given have managed to upgrade my vivarium to an acceptable standard (superior substrate, proper gradient, thermostat and nutrition) but my gecko still isn't eating much.

His usual diet is locusts but he had barely eaten any of them for about a month. A few weeks ago I decided to try wax worms for the first time and he went for them straight away, and then ate two of the mealworms we offered after, but no more. We tried the same thing yesterday and followed with locusts and it was successful, but again he only ate two locusts after the wax worm and no more.

Since wax worms are fatty and contain basically no nutrition I decided to keep trying regular food every other day and only feed him one wax worm once a week, but he only eats regular food if it is preceded by a wax worm.

My question is: should I increase the amount of days he gets a wax worm (such as one worms every two or three days per week) since he is barely eating anything anyway or are they so unhealthy that I should maintain my current plan?

I want him to eat and remain healthy but I certainly don't want an obese gecko or one reliant on wax worms either, he has still got a fat tail despite his month long fast.

If you would like any more details about his living conditions, please let me know.

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
Hi guys

I recently made a post about my gecko's issues with feeding and thanks to the valuable advice I was given have managed to upgrade my vivarium to an acceptable standard (superior substrate, proper gradient, thermostat and nutrition) but my gecko still isn't eating much.

His usual diet is locusts but he had barely eaten any of them for about a month. A few weeks ago I decided to try wax worms for the first time and he went for them straight away, and then ate two of the mealworms we offered after, but no more. We tried the same thing yesterday and followed with locusts and it was successful, but again he only ate two locusts after the wax worm and no more.

Since wax worms are fatty and contain basically no nutrition I decided to keep trying regular food every other day and only feed him one wax worm once a week, but he only eats regular food if it is preceded by a wax worm.

My question is: should I increase the amount of days he gets a wax worm (such as one worms every two or three days per week) since he is barely eating anything anyway or are they so unhealthy that I should maintain my current plan?

I want him to eat and remain healthy but I certainly don't want an obese gecko or one reliant on wax worms either, he has still got a fat tail despite his month long fast.

If you would like any more details about his living conditions, please let me know.
We certainly will need those details before anyone here can advise you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, no problem.
Hot side averages 34C (28C at night) 26-30% humidity, cool side 26C (22C at night) 35-42% humidity. Heat is controlled by heat lamp on for 12 hrs per day and heat mat on a thermostat set to 30C 24/7.
One cool den, one humid den, one hot den.
60cmx45cmx30cm terrarium.
Basking area on the far hot side.
Calcium dish.
Water Dish.
All food is dusted in calcium, and dusted in multivitamin powder w/D3 once a month.
Substrate: eco earth (and large bits of slate scattered).
He also has a bridge type decor over his humid hide.
He had a fancy exo terra den with two levels that I removed and replaced with a regular cave when I found he was going to the toilet on one level and sleeping on the other.
I think that's everything, but more importantly I would like advice pertaining to his diet; as I said he is offered dusted locusts and mealworms throughout the week but only eats them when he is also offered a wax worm in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick Update: My gecko actually started eating normally again, without any wax worms two days ago (five locusts in one evening) for the first time in about two months. The plan now is to continue feeding him locusts and mealworms with a single wax worm once a week to keep him interested. Any further advice on feeding or my setup would still be appreciated however.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts