Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a leopard gecko, and she's a juvenile. She's amazing, but all she does is stay in her hide, and it's making me slightly worried.

Just to let you know, she has a 15-20n gallon wooden terrarium. The hot side is 35 degrees C/ and the cold side is round about 21 degrees C/.

She's got three hides to go into all around the tank. But since I've bought her, (About a week ago) she isn't coming out of her hut. I do take her out, but that means I have to disturb her in her cave.

Do I have anything to worry about, because she seems healthy and normal to me, but it I could just be paranoid about the fact she's not coming out of her cave?

All advice is apprechiated, thanks guys!

Will x

·
Registered
286 Posts
1st of all you need to lower the temp of the warm end 2 between 31-33c th cool end could do with being warmer 22-24c she will b shy for a while

·
Registered
459 Posts
How long have you had her? Just could be a point of letting her settle in her new home for a while.

·
Registered
487 Posts
One of mine is like this, shes over 4 months old now and I've had her from 2 weeks, and she stays in her cave hide all the time, she comes out more now in the evening than she ever did before, but Im thinking of downsizing her cave hide (as its the largest type) and seeing if she'll explore more with smaller hides to go into.
I wouldnt worry though! your leo's probably just too cosy in there!:flrt:

Reactions: Billybong60

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long have you had her? Just could be a point of letting her settle in her new home for a while.
I've had her for about a week now, so I'm probably just been paranoid because of it. But hopefully you guys could give me some peace of mind...

Do you think she will be okay?

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
aslong as shes pooing and theres white in it means she's eating and drinking she'll just b settling in just bring your warm end temp down to long at 35c can cause heat stress is it stated ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
wouldnt worry, mines the same since bought a cave/moist hide bout 6 months ago, pops his head out the hole when hes wantin sum crickets, or he comes to the glass when hes wantin to come out n play about on ma bed. as said above their jus comfy in ther mate.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
A week is'nt long, she'll still be settling in, once she's comfortable and used to where she lives she'll start to feel better about coming out more. They usually get more confident as they get older :D

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Thanks mate!

Anymore advice? :flrt:

For getting her to come out? just give it time, for the next week I would not try and make her come out or handle her, just spot clean, change water, feed and if she is eating well enough just leave her to completely settle in and get used to her new home. Is your heat source on a thermostat? just 35c is a little on the high side, 31-33c is ideal, we keep ours on the higher end at 33 c :2thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For getting her to come out? just give it time, for the next week I would not try and make her come out or handle her, just spot clean, change water, feed and if she is eating well enough just leave her to completely settle in and get used to her new home. Is your heat source on a thermostat? just 35c is a little on the high side, 31-33c is ideal, we keep ours on the higher end at 33 c :2thumb:

Yeah, I have a thermostat. I shall put the temperature down to 33 then, (roughly).

Another question, how could I pump up the heat on the cool side? Because I'm having problems with that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yeah, I have a thermostat. I shall put the temperature down to 33 then, (roughly).

Another question, how could I pump up the heat on the cool side? Because I'm having problems with that.

Thanks.

That's good :2thumb: yeah just drop it a little if you can, young ones are a bit more fragile than adults. What size viv is it? I would'nt worry too much about the cool end, if it's around 21c that's fine, she will have a decent gradient to choose where she wants to be :grin1:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah, my heat source is a heat mat with thermostat. I'll lower the heat for the leo.

Another thing... what ways could I make the cool side a little warmer because it's only at 21c.?

Thanks for all the help! :)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yeah, my heat source is a heat mat with thermostat. I'll lower the heat for the leo.

Another thing... what ways could I make the cool side a little warmer because it's only at 21c.?

Thanks for all the help! :)

Think I've answered this on your other thread, but don't worry about it, so long as her hot end is right, 21c in the cool end is fine, she'll have a good gradient to choose the temp she wants : victory:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts