Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a very lovely female leopard gecko, about six months old. She's on a heat mat that is usually around 31 C and has a couple hides, one of which is moist. She feeds great on mealworms, sometimes crickets and the occasional wax worm and looks wonderfully healthy but does one thing that's been bothering me.
A couple times a night, I hear her making a noise. It's hard to describe but I read an old thread on here that described a sound as 'like a heat mat peeling off glass' and it does sound just like that (but it isn't). I've been looking at her while she does it a few times, and she squeezes her eyes shut and moves her head around (usually scrunches it to the side and back towards her body) before she does the noise which makes it look like it's really uncomfortable / painful. I did think RI but she's got no other signs and has been doing this for a while - always think she's stopped doing it but she starts back up again every time...

When I first got her she was very weak and trembled a lot, better now I've given her lots of dusted food but since she's gained muscle I can see that she has a small white lump on her front left elbow (she is a blizzard so it does just look white), I suspected she might have had the start of MBD - her movement isn't effected now but just wondered if it was related for example if she is in pain because of it? I don't know, just a thought!

Anybody ever seen anything like this? I'm happy to take recommendations for vets in the Sheffield area, I'll try to sort pics of the elbow if anyone is bothered to see, and I'd be happy to know about how much a vet visit could cost so I can sort the money out.

Thanks for reading my long post!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The only thing I can picture in my head is that it may be a way of helping larger prey items on their way. I have seen, more in hatchlings sharing with parents, my lizards taking on prey that would 90% of the time be thought of as being too big. They will then, after shoveling the feeder in, proceed to stretch their head, slowly, from side to side and then be on their way.

It could just as easily be something completely different. It would certainly be helpful if you could get a video of it. I tried looking for something similar to what I see with mine, on Youtube but after watching Leopard Geckos eating large roaches, mice, birds and even being fed to Bearded Dragons I gave up. It really is the most pointless place to go if you want to see helpful/sensible reptile keeping.

Gavin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply! You're right that it is very similar to that, I once saw her take down a big cricket and do it (she's my first gecko and ill admit I've made some mistakes) but the thing is really that she just does it for seemingly no reason, not particularly after eating, often it's when she has just woken up in the evening. Her standard mealworms shouldn't be a problem, she's pretty big now. I do desperately want to get it on video but due to its spontaneous nature it's pretty difficult. I'll wake her up tonight with the camera at the ready maybe. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts