Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just noticed my male leo had mated with the female and blood squirted out of were his opening is, its 2am and no vets will be open, it really shocked me to see this has anyone got any suggestions as what that could of been?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
yeah looks like a prolapse take him to the vet asap

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
could the prolapsed area have been torn in anyway? or could it infact be a tear or injury from mateing? i have never heard of a prolapse bleeding liek taht either...

if its a prolapse the sugar thing realy should help.. did it have any effect?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the sugar water helped it go in abit, but theres still a big blob of red which im guessing has to be blood or hes still not retracted but i suppose it could of been a tear from mating yeah, i mean it was 2am at the time roughly and as ya do when you cant sleep i put the t.v on and when i seen him biting her out of corner of my eye i saw her look like she tried to bite back so i went over to get her out cause they were getting abit violent and then it squirted backwards, from him across the tank and my reaction was basically like holy shit wtf so shes in another tank now, and hes resting, i let him soak for roughly 20 minutes and then he wondered about and went to his warm hide and thats it since then shes laid in her tank and hes laid in his

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
what substrate is he on?

the only advice i can give is to keep him and the area as clean as possible untill you can get him to a vet... usualy i would say keep aplying the sugar water, but i dont know if that would cause any other issues if it is a tear or wound...

im sure i have seen people say to put a small amount of vasline on teh area too, to stop it from drying out.. but im afraid i cant say if this is correct or not..

sorry not particularly helpfulll.. these things always seem to happen in the middle of the night when theres hardly anyone online!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hes on paper towels at the moment with this, he was on cage carpet that zoo med stuff but cause of this i thought well ive got no choice but to do paper towels, but yeah its typical this time of night, got to be up at 8 for a lovely 9 hour shift too, all i can do is get a vet asap and see what they say, i mean i know its a prolapse and its not uncommon for it to happen i know that but the bloods what really struck me cause i saw it just squirt out and you can see on the pics hes got blood on his tail, oh no its helpful, i appreciate it so yeah, thanks alot =]

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
paper towles is good.. yeah just kep it clean and get him to a vet asap.. also did you maybe take a picture of the blood in his tank to show how much blood he lost?

but good luck at the vets in the morning! and keep us updated, i hope it goes well!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
from the looks of it there's a chance he's ripped his hemipene ~ I had one that happened too and unfortunately the vet had to amputate it. As a word of caution ~ and if you haven't done so already ~ I really would recommend seperating the male away from the female.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Well they have two hemipenes so as long as the second is still intact (and hopefully the first as well!), there is still a possibility of mating.

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
Poor little chap. Does look and sound as if his hemipenis is ripped or has been bitten by the female. Good luck for tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.