Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm Uselesslamp! I recently bought a leopard gecko 2 weeks ago, and he was born in April. When I first got him, I didn't see him eat for about a week. I thought this issue was normal due to the stress of travelling. However, the issue persisted into the second week of having Murdoc. We found a large amount of crickets in his vivarium hiding under a slate rock, proof that he wasn't eating them. The only thing I have seen him eat is Wax Worms, but I have heard that they can be addictive for them and are not the healthiest feeder insects. In his vivarium, he has earthmix arid substrate, if this makes a difference? In addition, he has a deep heat projector as his heat source. He also doesn't seem to be lethargic or tired, and is definately full of energy. There's just so many contrasting words of advice on the internet, that it can be quite confusing! Thanks for the help in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
9,702 Posts
Relocation stress can go on for more than one week. But let's just check what your temperatures are to make sure that is not the issue. What is the temp at surface level at the hottest spot?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Relocation stress can go on for more than one week. But let's just check what your temperatures are to make sure that is not the issue. What is the temp at surface level at the hottest spot?
Thanks for getting back to me Debbie, I really appreciate it! The temperatures are as listed below:
Warm side = 35°c
Cold side = 26°c
Hottest spot (Slate rock) = 38°c
Also, I was thinking that the reason he isn't eating is because of scenery change? When we first got him, we put him in with kitchen roll as a substrate for a couple of days. We then replaced the kitchen roll with a loose substrate, Arcadia Earthmix Arid. A few days after this we put fake plants into his vivarium. Then we put in a piece of disinfected drift wood in a couple of days later. Maybe this might be the cause of a lack of appetite? Thanks for getting in touch :)

·
Super Moderator
9,702 Posts
Any changes can potentially upset them yes. Temps seem okay, in fact a little too hot at 38 on the rock by about 5 degrees, but as long as there is a good cool end to retreat to then it should be fine. As he sounds active and okay otherwise I would give him a little longer to settle as there have been lots of changes for him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any changes can potentially upset them yes. Temps seem okay, in fact a little too hot at 38 on the rock by about 5 degrees, but as long as there is a good cool end to retreat to then it should be fine. As he sounds active and okay otherwise I would give him a little longer to settle as there have been lots of changes for him.
Thanks for getting back to me Debbie! I've taken your point about the temperature on the rock into action, I have reduced the temperature. Thanks for helping me with this issue! :)

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,637 Posts
Have you tried using locusts? They don't hide away like crickets do. Also make sure your feeder insects are large enough - Leo's much prefer larger prey - as long as they aren't TOO large and can be easily swallowed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried using locusts? They don't hide away like crickets do. Also make sure your feeder insects are large enough - Leo's much prefer larger prey - as long as they aren't TOO large and can be easily swallowed.
Hi Jools! Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't tried locusts with him yet, so I might purchase some soon. Me and my dad thought that the reason why he was not eating was because the crickets we were purchasing were perhaps too big for him, about 2cm. We bought some smaller ones recently that are around 1cm but we have not checked to see if he's eaten them yet. He seems to be eating waxworms though, but I've heard that they're unhealthy and can lead to addiction. Do you know of any healthier substitutes? Thanks in advance :)

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,637 Posts
If the Leo is adult sized (which he should be at that age) then 2cm crickets would be fine. You could try putting a slice of carrot or apple in the viv to entice the crickets out of hiding. Mealworms are better than wax worms but still not great. Locust and roaches are good. Make sure all livefood is well gut loaded - very important.
It probably is that your Leo is still settling in. Try not to handle or disturb him any more than necessary until he is eating well. A good way to tell if he is eating is to see if there are any poops.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had my Leopard Gecko for about 4 weeks now and it still does not come out during the day. I have a Tapo Camera in there and the second lights go out he comes out looking for food. The problem is as much as he tries the crickets just sometimes get away and will just hide until the next day. One thing i have tried is putting them in the Fridge for 10 mins before putting them in which slows them down for a few minutes. As Jools has also recommended Locusts do tend to be a lot slower and easier to catch, my Leo does seem to only go for the larger ones as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts