Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a leopard gecko which is approximately 15cm from head to tip of tail. I’m not sure how old he is but I’ve had him for a year. Recently he doesn’t seem to be eating. When I first got him all he had been fed was wax worms so this is what I initially fed him. I find it very hard to get him to eat anything else but I know that wax worms as a primary diet is a definite no. I’ve tried crickets , locusts and meal worms but am wondering if I am doing something wrong? Now he doesn’t even want wax worms. He just doesn’t seem to notice the food running around. Before he would go to eat but miss judge it so they would get away, now he doesn’t appear to even be making the effort to try and catch them. I have his tank on ¾ heat mat so this is primary heat. I have recently moved him to newspaper as a substrate as I was worried that keeping him on Calci sand might have been the problem - impaction possibility. Anybody with more experience than myself have any helpful ideas on why he’s not eating, what to try feeding him and how to get him to feed.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have you tried hand-feeding with tweezers - ie wiggling the food in front of his nose (maybe even touching his nose with it a bit)? It could be that he can't see to find his prey.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have tried wiggling the food. If it touches his nose he normally moves away from it. Is it normal for him to have not eaten for so long?

·
Registered
302 Posts
When you say he used to mis-judge it, did he actually ingest the sand?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i had a leo that didnt eat for ages, eventually got her eating again with a mixture of baby food and smooshed up meal worms ... smooshed is a word right?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say he used to mis-judge it, did he actually ingest the sand?
No he didn't ingest the sand and i've not ever noticed him eating it. Thats not to say he hasn't been eating it. I've always given him access to a dish of calcium powder.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
so TINY!!!
erm... could be impacted i woudl now change it ASAP.
(it also ocudl be brumation - dont eat so much get a lil sleepy)

wait till more peopel com eon here :)

He is very lethargic and seems a little wobbily today. Any ideas? I am really worried.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had a leo that didnt eat for ages, eventually got her eating again with a mixture of baby food and smooshed up meal worms ... smooshed is a word right?
Seems as good a word as any lol! Did you leave that in a bowl or did you try and hand feed it to him? What baby food did you use? As you can tell I'm worried about my little Leo :(

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so TINY!!!
erm... could be impacted i woudl now change it ASAP.
(it also ocudl be brumation - dont eat so much get a lil sleepy)

wait till more peopel com eon here :)

I changed it a couple of weeks ago. He has been on newspaper ever since. Is this ok to keep him on?

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
yea mien are onlino and or paper towel..

if no one can think of anything else - a vet trip woudl be good :)

good luck
I changed it a couple of weeks ago. He has been on newspaper ever since. Is this ok to keep him on?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Seems as good a word as any lol! Did you leave that in a bowl or did you try and hand feed it to him? What baby food did you use? As you can tell I'm worried about my little Leo :(

Thanks for your reply.
i dropped a bit on her nose n she licked it off. did that a few times, and then put some on a spoon and put it infront of her and she lapped it up. did this for a while then put live mealies on the spoon in a lil bit of baby food and she'd take the worm. it built her up well and now she runs round after crickets just fine :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
it was like an organicy veggie/chicken one i think. i cant remember exactly.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
smooshing mealworms was fine .... but once i opened that baby food god i wanted to throw up, stuff is rank!!! lol

yeah as geeky said no rice, i tried the meaty ones but she at the veg ones more which was weird

·
Registered
461 Posts
if the gecko hadnt have had eaten, you would have had to resort to force feeding. not a nice subject, and ive had to do it to young geckos.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How long has it been since he's eaten? Do you know how much he weighs? A picture of him may also be helpful.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry about the delay.

I have just weighed him and he is 70g. I have found a record for him from April which was 76g but he is visibilly skinnier I think even though he's not that much lighter.

When I got him out just then to take a picture of him he was very lively! He last shed atleast 3 months ago. I last took some poo out last week. Obviously he's not been eating so not really been pooing much either. If i'm honest I am not sure when he last ate as I had to change his vivarium to a tank and the lid wasn't completely insect secure so they might have been escaping rather than him eating the crickets / locusts.

I apologise for the lack of quality photos, as I said he was very lively.

This next picture was taken in September.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts