Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have had a leo for about 1 month now. It hasn't ate for about 4 days now (It also shed). I know the leo eats the shed skin (we didn't find any in its enclosure). Is it normal for him not to accept food? He is active and doesn't appear to be sick.

·
Registered
475 Posts
What are you feeding him?

What temperature are you keeping him at and what substrate is he on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The temp is 26 deg Celsius and he is on reptile carpet.

He was getting crickets and mealworms dusted with a vitamin (every 2nd feeding). He is still producing droppings daily…

·
Registered
475 Posts
Is that in his cool end or warm end?

He should be at about 24C in cool end and 28-30C in warm end.

If he's pooing daily he should be fine. Just keep trying him with crix. Or try hoppers as a bit of variety. Stick to his normal feeding regime, i.e. every other day. Try leaving him for three days with nothing so his prey drive kicks in as he should be hungry then. This usully works. I've done it with mine a few times. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
i have a leopard that never eats after sheddding he's 2 years old and has always been the same. i move the next feed after shedding back 3 days for him and never had any problems.

Della

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He started eating again yesterday, all though he only excepted 2 small crickets. I have raised the temp to 29 deg Celsius, but my thermostat seems to be malfunctioning as the temp was 35 this morning... I will install a new thermostat this evening...

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
hiya glad he's eating again...just wanted to add noticed you said you were dusting in vit powder every 2nd feed but you also need to dust in a pure calcium, best thing with leos is twice weekly with vit powder and twice weekly with calcium you can also pop a little pot of pure calcium in viv so leo can lick as needed... :D shops always seem to forget about the calcium bit so dont panic and if you start now he will be fine... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts