Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason my gecko has stopped eating, i have had her for about aweek, she usually eats 3 crickets every three days and i have been told the guy who gave it to me was starving it. i was told to give her half a dozen every two days. i gave her 6 today and left them in for an hour as instructed from a reptile shop, and them took them out. she was not interested in them.

i was told she looked healthy today when i took her to be sexed, but since then she hasnt touched her food, do i put the crickets in over night or can this cause problems.

this is my first reptile and i am worried.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
One of my new babies refused to eat when the lights were on etc, so I put a piece of carrot (any veg will do) in with the crickets, and left him to it... they were all gone the next morning. The only possible problem would be the crickets attacking the gecko for food, but with food for them in the viv this shouldn't happen.

If you took her from her viv to be sexed she may have got cold or simply stressed/scared and that could also explain the stoping eating.

How old is she? Some adults only eat about 6-8 crickets a week, so her old owner may not have been starving her if she didn't want any more. (Only really if she's well grown on though!)

Also, what temps are her viv? Some I know won't eat if they feel it's too cold to digest their food properly.

Leopard geckos can go for weeks with no food, living off the fat reserves in their tails. Don't anic too early, just keep an eye, and as I say, try leaving them over night.

Oh..... if you have any pics of her stick them on!! :)

Blimey! Long post, but I hope that helps!!!

Emma xXx

PS- www.thegeckospot.com is a brilliant site for all sorts of leo info, it was invaluable when we started keeping and researching!!!

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
know exactly what you mean im new to leo owning and i worry about everything,my leo dont have a big appetite so maybe eats 5-6 hoppers or crickets a week and 4-5 waxworm,thats it,its really good advice you get off this forum especially about putting carrot in the viv which i will be trying as im always worried the crickets will eat him,so like you i take them out b4 hes had a chance to decide if he wants to eat them or not,crix like grated carrot and rocket leaves ive found and im sure if you put these in a corner they would live in there happily.......until ur girl decides to eat them,excellent pets arent they,good luck and a worried owner makes a good owner!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts