Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola peeps! I'm pretty new to this forum - have never posted anything before as i usually just nose around the existing posts for anything i need to know!

But i'm worried about my beautiful super-snow leopard gecko, 'Gringo'... She only arrived on 19th October (big thanks to Mal and all at Grinning Gecko for your continuing help with all my questions - you've been great!) She didn’t eat for the first few days, so i started putting her mini-mealies in a clear glass ashtray (again, thanks for the info Mal!) and she definitely started showing an interest in them. My friend suggested we take them out and put in front of her, as she couldn’t quite work out how to get in the dish, and she has been eating well since i started doing this - she's about 3 months old, so has been munching around 8-10 a night since 22/10, apart from 24/10 & 25/10 where i wasn't around when she was awake, so just left the mealies on the ashtray thinking she'd work it out - but she didn’t! She munched about 13 mealies yesterday, and was pouncing on them straight away, so its not her appetite i'm concerned about...

The thing is, i've only found 2 poops since she arrived (and one in the tub she arrived in). I didn’t think she'd poo inside her hides, so only checked the warm hide on Tuesday 26/10, and found 2 healthy looking 'pint of Guinness' style poops in there, which stopped me worrying initially. Since then i haven't found any more, and i'm worried that she's still eating the mealies, but they don't appear to be coming out! Have tried reading up online, and people all say different things about how often they go - most peeps say every 1-2 days is normal, but on some posts i've read on here and other forums, some people say they've had the gecko for a couple of months and only ever found about 4 poos - i'm assuming that's definitely not right, but has anyone got any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong here - i'm a proper newbie at reptile keeping, but had been reading up on leopard geckos for about 3 months or more before i actually got one, so i hope i'm not making any rookie errors here.

The thing is, there was a poo in the box she arrived in, and she's pooped twice in her first week here, so i can't understand what has been different since then. The temps in the warm end cut off at around 90 degrees and don't go any lower that 86 - i've got 2 digital thermometers at the warm end, along with the thermostat, just to be on the safe side, as she does like to go sit on top of the probes! I change her water everyday, so she always has access to that, although I never see her drink any, but she’s still super nocturnal at this stage, so sometimes she doesn’t come out and about until really late at night, and there were white bits in her poo before, so this must mean she’s drinking, right?? Other than the temperature, any ideas as to what would make a difference to her pooping? I just want to get everything perfect with her…

Any help is much appreciated here – its been on my mind so much that I actually dreamed I found poo in her tub the other day! I mean come on, dreaming about gecko poo; that’s just not right!

Muchos gracias...

Vics

x

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Although she might be butting on weight as she is a growing lizard so there might not be a lot of waste, if she seems healthy and well then don't worry to much but if she starts to go ill take her to the vets : victory:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
hey vic :welcome:

aslong as your gecko is eating all is well.
and yes the white bit does mean shes drinking.
if your ever in doubt take her/him to the vets.

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
She should poo at least twice a week. Is there any chance shes hiding her poo somewhere? Under the substrate? In the wet box?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys - many thanks for all your speedy responses!

I'm keeping a note of what she eats and poops, so will keep a close eye on her for now - i'd rather take her to the vets just to be sure and put my mind at ease a bit if nothing happens soon...

She's in a temporary tub at the moment, so there's not too many places to hide any poop - i've just got paper towels for the substrate till she goes into her big viv, so she couldnt be hiding it under there... I've been misting her moist hide every couple of days; havent seen anything in there but i'll have a proper nose around in there next time just to double check - thanks for the heads up!

She didn't come out at all yesterday - i saw her out and about at bout 7ish in the morning when i got up today, but that was it...

I'll just have to keep on praying for poop at this stage!

Thanks again for your help peeps; much appreciated...

x

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,619 Posts
Hi and welcome. You have had good advice here. The only other thing I would do is up her temps a bit - go for 89-92F on the floor at the warm side. This may speed up her metabolism a bit. But TBH it doesn't sound like there is too much to worry about and you will always have good advice from Mal.

·
Registered
286 Posts
mine never poo'd 4 th 1st week now hes pretty regular 2-4 a week his has white bits aswell never seen him drink tho but its good too know thats wt wot it is

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey - thanks for info bout the temps - i'll have a fiddle with the thermostat...

Yeh Mal's been great - he did say to me to call him if i had any concerns as he wouldn't be able to access emails over the weekend, but i didn't want to bother him if it wasn't something to be overly concerned about; bless him, i've asked him about a million questions before and after she arrived - he has the patience of a saint!

I'm really glad i found this forum - as a newbie its so reassuring to have advice from some experts - i think i'm just paranoid i'm doing something wrong coz i'm new to all this!

Hmmm so looks like little Gringo's not the only secret drinker then - i might get one of those red spectrum lights so i can see what she gets up to when she thinks no-one's watching!

Well that's put my mind at ease a bit anyway - cheers!

·
Registered
286 Posts
i was paranoid for th 1st week i've onli just started handelin mine he shed last week got thru it fime so i've just been puttin ma hand in th viv let him smell an lick an climb an i gradually lift him closer 2 the edge ov th viv everytime i'm doin everythin at his pace th thing i.m most paranoid about is him losin his tail i was told not 2 handle him till he was eating right an pooing regular

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah glad its not just me with the paranoia then, haha!

Yeh i haven't handled her yet while she's settling in; she stays half out of her hide when i put my hands in to change her water and mist the moist hide, and she came over and gave my hand a lick the other day, then just wandered off - maybe next time ey!

·
Registered
442 Posts
It might be that she's a bit bunged up. My Lil went through a faze of getting bunged up when she had a retained egg. I was advised that a droplet of olive oil would "lubricate the system"...and it certainly does..a massive poop came out!:lol2:

Try a little bath in some tepid water and put a droplet of olive oil on her nose so she licks it off...just a tiny droplet though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
honestly people this forum is awesome got me thru th first couple ov weeks ma geks settlin in fine pooin well eatin well gettin friendlier every day just been patient with it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey peeps thanks again for your replies and advice - i finally hit the poo jackpot today!! That just sounds so wrong, haha! Seriously tho, was good to be able to come on here and get some helpful advice...

Didn't see Gringo for a few days so was very worried, but she was out and about again for ages last night and today a bit as well, ate loads of mealies and took a massive poo, so i can stop worrying and get some sleep!!

Whoo-hoo!

x

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,619 Posts
You know you have become a true reptile keeper when you start to worry about poo lol. Good news for you though :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hola 'Gringo'.... found 2 healthy looking 'pint of Guinness' style poops..... pooped twice in her first week here, s

x

Hola Vics que tal??

Love the name Gringo and had to highlight it. You should get another geck and call it cockaroach :)

And then theres the pint of guiness poo!! LOVE IT!!! i have travelled alot and heard poo being described in all sorts of ways....mr. whippy was my favourite up until now!!:lol2:

And then there "pooped" had to highlight that coz i was on a laughing mission.

Sorry i know your gecko guiness pooping situation might not be funny for you but as previously mention could be impaction?!?!

1) what substrate had you got it on and do you know what it was on before??

2) i personally dont recomment meal worms to anyone. high chitin in the shells can cause impaction and theres low nutriontal rates. waxworms are good to build up fat reserves but IMO i love butterworms (phoenix are btter but hard to get hold of) buttersworms are like yellow/orange waxies but much much more calcium. my leos are fed on butters and small hoppers/locusts and MORIOS as a treat. Morios have more nutrional content then mealies but make sure they are morios and not super meal worms....the two look completely different but sometimes advertised as the same

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hola 'Gringo'.... found 2 healthy looking 'pint of Guinness' style poops..... pooped twice in her first week here, s

x

Hola Vics que tal??

Love the name Gringo and had to highlight it. You should get another geck and call it cockaroach :)

And then theres the pint of guiness poo!! LOVE IT!!! i have travelled alot and heard poo being described in all sorts of ways....mr. whippy was my favourite up until now!!:lol2:

And then there "pooped" had to highlight that coz i was on a laughing mission.

Sorry i know your gecko guiness pooping situation might not be funny for you but as previously mention could be impaction?!?!

1) what substrate had you got it on and do you know what it was on before??

2) i personally dont recomment meal worms to anyone. high chitin in the shells can cause impaction and theres low nutriontal rates. waxworms are good to build up fat reserves but IMO i love butterworms (phoenix are btter but hard to get hold of) buttersworms are like yellow/orange waxies but much much more calcium. my leos are fed on butters and small hoppers/locusts and MORIOS as a treat. Morios have more nutrional content then mealies but make sure they are morios and not super meal worms....the two look completely different but sometimes advertised as the same

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hola muchacho, que pasa?

Lovin’ your profile name – the Lizard King rules man!

Haha – Gringo and La Cucaracha, that sounds like a Mexican crime fighting duo – love it! Yeh I find myself addressing her in a Mexican accent – I have issues, I know!

I’m proud to have started a new gecko poo terminology – glad you liked that one! Yeh I see what ya mean bout Mr Whippy – that’s a good-un!

I’ve still got her in a temporary tub at the moment as I’m just sorting out her big viv, so have just got her on kitchen paper right now; that’s what the breeder had her on as well. I’ve got sum wicked dark slate tiles for her big viv – deffo wouldn’t use sand after everything I’ve read!

I found another poo on Monday, so there was 4 days between that and the last one – that’s made me relax a bit, I was well para before! She’s been coming out more and eating quite a bit as well lately…

Cheers for the heads up bout the worms tho– may look into getting some different ones to make a change ey…

1 - 19 of 19 Posts