Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my leopard gecko for 10 months. She's been growing and eating fine. But over the Christmas period I gave her meal worms as a diet for a week. She's been on crickets almost entirely to this stage as she ignored the locusts.

Post meal worms she did a massive poo. However since then she hasn’t done any. She's still pretty active and she's still eating yet no poo.

I've been given her baths and yesterday I started giving her some cod liver oil. But nothing. I'm really concerned about her. But not sure what to do. I don’t want to stress her out but at the same time I don’t want to leave it in case it becomes life threatening.

Can leopard geckos go a week/2 without pooing no issue or?

·
Registered
77 Posts
what substrate is your gecko on or do you feed with a bowl also and also what tempriture could be a number of things.

1.1.0 leos
0.2.0 tokay gecko's
1.1.0 bearded dragrons
0.0.1 corn snake
0.0.1 emperor scorpion
1.0.0 chillie rose tarantula

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's been on large dry wood chips from about 5 inches. She hasnt had any issue so far. I've now purchased some calcium sand in case that was the issue but it may be that horse has bolted.

The temps 30-32. She tends to spend a fair amount of time in her cave belly down on her heat mat during the day then wander about at night.

As I say she's still active and eating, if it wasnt for the fact her cage is so clean i wouldnt be worried. The breeder said sometimes a change in diet will bung them up for a while and other times they eat their own poop.

But I'm still worried.

·
Registered
77 Posts
if i was you i would try her on crickets (gutloaded) for a while and see if theirs an improvment or you could always try the gecko diet thats good to sorry i couldnt be more help first time on forums

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No prob. Ive got her back on crickets and a few wax worms to hopefully soften stuff up. Still no poop.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
She's been on large dry wood chips from about 5 inches. She hasnt had any issue so far. I've now purchased some calcium sand in case that was the issue but it may be that horse has bolted.

The temps 30-32. She tends to spend a fair amount of time in her cave belly down on her heat mat during the day then wander about at night.

As I say she's still active and eating, if it wasnt for the fact her cage is so clean i wouldnt be worried. The breeder said sometimes a change in diet will bung them up for a while and other times they eat their own poop.

But I'm still worried.
The large dry woodchips 'could' be an issue. She may be impacted after swallowing one/some.
Without knowing the real specifics I would take her to the vets to be checked rather than bathing and cod liver oil, that will only stress her and cause her to potentially stop eating.

As for eating their own poo, never heard that one before !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've booked her in for a vet appointment tomorrow morning. Hopefully the vet will be able to solve the issue and help her out. Cheers for the advice.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
as BRO said....

As BRO said, wood chip substrate means a possible impaction could well be an issue, specially since she was eating free range food, calcium sand is def not any better I'm afraid, infact that stuff causes the most problems of all when large amounts are ingested, my advice would be to remove any loose substrate and line the base of her viv with kitchen roll or lino, both very safe and easy to keep clean and hygenic. Bathing Leo's is not a good idea, they are rocky desert dwelling animals and not at all fond of water, it isn't at all natural for them and thus this just serves to add significant stress.
Also as BRO rightly said the vets is a must, they may well need to xray her to check for blockages, if they do warning as this will not be cheap! Good luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She took one hell of a dump last night. The vet said she's fine with no impaction. She was just struggling to digest mealworms as shes only been on crickets for the last 8 months.

Bathing the lizard was suggested on a lot of sites as it helps deal with the dehydration often involved in constipation. Whilst it is not its natural environment the warm water does help stimulated digestion. (Its not natural for us to take drugs but it still helps when we're ill.) She didn't seam to mind the water that much and it gave her a good opportunity to drink. Some people mist their geckos but I was warned off it as they can get lung infections if they are in moist environments. I've never seen her drink from her water bowl. Although again lots of sites say leos rarely do and only at night.

I'm going to stay off the calcium sand as its only getting negative reviews on all the different forums. However the choice of substrate seems to be a wholly divisive subject with no clear answer. I'll take a look at tiles and see if they conduct the heat in a safe and suitable manner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts