Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you've all noticed that the price of leopard geckos has taken a massive price crash. I just wanted to say that i hope people who are breeding, and those thinking of breeding Leopard geckos (and prob most other reps) for a profit should seriously think again.
Sure it's an ideal time to pick up those more "rare" morphs for the collector/hobbiest, but if you're thinking you could make a nice tidy profit, please think again.
Sure, you could pic up a nice breeding trio of "Bell albinos" probably for around the £100 mark right now but it's highly likely that this time next year you could possibly pick them up for less than £50. Then taking into account for the time, feeding, equipment, electricity and possible vet bills, you could be seriously out of profit. Worst than this, you could be stuck with quite a number of babies that aren't selling because so many other people have babies to sell as well. Then what?

I'm not preaching but it seems breeders are struggling this year trying to sell their all babies. Because of this there is a small price war going on. I've seen £120 Leos drop to 60 in the last 2 months alone. A scary thought for the next years babies.

Anyway, i'm sure i've bored you enough now, and i'm fully aware to all the different levels this topic could cover, but i just wanted to make aware any newbies and alike to what could possibly lie ahead

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
The price drop in the last year has been insane we paid £250 for an engima het bell just last year you can now pick them up for £60 thats 1/4 was what they used to cost in just a year.

Another example is the mack snow ablinos last year at shows these were around the £100-£140 mark I know someone who got one at a show this year for £15.00 :gasp:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
this is true, which is why unless you have hundreds of geckos and a serious amount of cash it should only really be done out of love rather than profit, but it's the same breeding any sort of animal, I used to breed rabbits, not mixed breeds, pedigree ones, and I never got any profit from it. Also I think as the geckos are becomming cheaper, more and more people are taking up hobbyist breeding, and hence the price crash, hopefully it will pick up again once some new exciting morphs come on the market, and when all the 'newbies' stop panicking about being stuck with the babies, I always make sure that the babies have homes to go to, even if it isn't for the price I would really like lol.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
im breeding just for the enjoyment and not for the profit.....(which you dont make anyway)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I must admit, that when I first started looking at Leos a few years ago, the prices astonished me.

I Paid £40 for Lils (6 mos old) and have just paid £10 (yes £10) for a young male. I have no intentions to breed them (purely because I believe breeding should be left to the erm, breeders,,,and people who know what they are doing)

I do think (just through looking at this site) there are too many people breeding.

I believe the same thing is happening with other species tho, i placed an ad for a corn snake baby on Gumtree, I had an offer of £7.50 for a striped one (cant remember the proper name)...£7.50 is madness

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
when i got my first leo, a high yellow male, i was charged £70! was probs too much even at the time (but i didnt know better lol), but iv just bought a blazing blizzard male last week for only £60. I dont expect to make a profit, but dont tell my mum that lol. She thinks they pay for themselves lol
xx

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
It is a cycle, and always comes around every few years for different species.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The thing is leopard geckos are so easy to breed thats why so many people have them to breed in the first place - i myself breed them as a hobby and dont profit at all but next year we are supposed to be getting a PSL and them are aiming to stock some local reptile shops with the morphs we produce.

If you remember Bell Albinos used to be very expensive, ours was £70 back last year and now they are going as low as £15 for babies and £40 for adults - but you see here is where the money bit works out a but better.

People concentrate on breeding a specific morph then the others fade out which means their price raises and then it all starts over again when they are produced again so you could say it fluctuates - also i have noticed that anything with the Enigma gene in it seems to add £50 onto the price which it would it if it didn't hold it.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
The thing is leopard geckos are so easy to breed thats why so many people have them to breed in the first place - i myself breed them as a hobby and dont profit at all but next year we are supposed to be getting a PSL and them are aiming to stock some local reptile shops with the morphs we produce.

If you remember Bell Albinos used to be very expensive, ours was £70 back last year and now they are going as low as £15 for babies and £40 for adults - but you see here is where the money bit works out a but better.

People concentrate on breeding a specific morph then the others fade out which means their price raises and then it all starts over again when they are produced again so you could say it fluctuates - also i have noticed that anything with the Enigma gene in it seems to add £50 onto the price which it would it if it didn't hold it.

This is indeed a true statement, you see Super Snow Enigmas hitting the market at say £220 now but next year they will be as low as £150, there are some new morphs emerging but they are still contained within Europe and aren't even here in the UK yet and yet a normal Super Snow sold on here can go for as little as £50 now

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
well over here in jersey the quality of leopard geckos are going down but the price is going up, when i first bought draco (7 years ago) she was £56 for a wild type. and a healthish baby.

now if you go into the same shop, it will cost £98 for a WALKING STICK:gasp: that resembles a leopard gecko (also wild type)

its a painful reminder that because of the availablity of leopard geckos in the uk the price is crashing, where only a stones throw away in jersey the price is shotting higher and higher for an animal that without the proper care (special care) will die within weeks:bash:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
what do you think the chances are of these being £100 in the next few years: victory:
The Urban Gecko

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
what do you think the chances are of these being £100 in the next few years: victory:
The Urban Gecko
probably unlikely lol. ive seen very few of these morphs available.

like with most things take DVD players for example. when they first came out they was around £120 for a bog standard one, now you can pick one up from ASDA for a tenner!

with the rise in populatity of anything the price always crashes until something new and shiny comes along and then the process starts again

hopefully the market will make a revival when new morphs are introduced. who knows maybe 'lesser' morphs will become more of a rarity as people buy more designer morphs and they boom in price. only time will tell

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
It is a cycle though.. and the saturated market will have a big withrawal for a few years by all the big breeders, and prices will go up again. When the cycle is running AN Other species will be the must have (beardies were common, but I think that market is saturated as well now)... something like Tokays or Day Geks..something. And the same will happen there ie the market will saturate blah blah blah

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The price crash is amazing for those who want to start breeding leos, I managed to pick up 1.2.0 super hypos, 0.1.0 blizzard, 0.1.0 albino yesterday for £115(all adults) which I think is a bargain for these beautiful animals. The same happens with all popular animals but after a while prices will recover somewhat.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
It is shocking how they are dropping!!!!

I am getting 2 more females this week so will have 3 females and 2 males. I was thinking about breeding next year but after seeing the prices fall and people struggling to sell I may just breed one pair, more for the experience than anything. I wasnt after a profit just the experience however I dont want to be left with babies from 3 females. x

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm sure you've all noticed that the price of leopard geckos has taken a massive price crash. I just wanted to say that i hope people who are breeding, and those thinking of breeding Leopard geckos (and prob most other reps) for a profit should seriously think again.
Sure it's an ideal time to pick up those more "rare" morphs for the collector/hobbiest, but if you're thinking you could make a nice tidy profit, please think again.
Sure, you could pic up a nice breeding trio of "Bell albinos" probably for around the £100 mark right now but it's highly likely that this time next year you could possibly pick them up for less than £50. Then taking into account for the time, feeding, equipment, electricity and possible vet bills, you could be seriously out of profit. Worst than this, you could be stuck with quite a number of babies that aren't selling because so many other people have babies to sell as well. Then what?

I'm not preaching but it seems breeders are struggling this year trying to sell their all babies. Because of this there is a small price war going on. I've seen £120 Leos drop to 60 in the last 2 months alone. A scary thought for the next years babies.

Anyway, i'm sure i've bored you enough now, and i'm fully aware to all the different levels this topic could cover, but i just wanted to make aware any newbies and alike to what could possibly lie ahead

The thing that has killed the market is people buying and breeding for a profit.

I was having a chat with another breeder not so long ago about it.
When people cant sell and want rid of things quickly, each day the price gets lower.
Ive seen sunglows going for £10... Bells for £10 i even saw a group of 5 mid range morphs (ie sunglows, albinos, hypos) being advertised for £80.

Now that is what is killing the market off because people just can compete with prices that low ending a lot of breeders ive seen around for a good few years.
Also people are making drastic cuts when it comes to websites and advertising. Ive also seen people that had top of the range websites who still breed but can no longer afford to actually pay for the domain, webspace etc etc.

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
Yup, its insane this year. I mean, you do expect morphs to come down in price after they have been around for a while but this year prices have just gone through the floor - I have baby female supersnows that I cannot sell at £60! Yet for the last 3 years they have always been around £100. Thats a massive drop in price. I think it is partly down to so many people breeding leos nowadays but also the credit crunch has hit hard and people just cannot afford to be buying pets. I really hope it picks up soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts