Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone give me an idea of a weekly schedule in regards to a gecko, as in whats involved feeding wise/cleaning and any other tasks (i.e. the live food)

also what is the basic equipment required?
i have read various caresheets etc and i just want to see what owners of leopard geckos actually do week in week out.

reason for this post, well basically i know someone with 3 common boa's and 1 blood python and a california king snake. he mentioned about selling the king snake as basically he needs to provide a bigger vivarium to the blood python.
the snake itself is wonderful and its far easier to tend to in regards to feed/cleaning etc. however i just dont feel as though a snake has as much character as a little gecko.
i suppose i could do both but i'd like to find out more about the gecko's first.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Those sites are all American (not sure if you're American or English! lol) One of the best UK sites is The Gecko Spot, UK.

As for what I do, it varies from hatchlings to adults.

Every day:
1- Water Bowl filled
2- Damp hide sprayed (Both with filtered water)
3- Clear out any poo (Usually in one place in the viv)

Once a week:
1- Check calcium dish
2- Change damp hide kitchen roll
3- Remove any rogue cricket legs

Every 2 weeks:
1- Weigh the gecko (if you want to know their weight gain)
2- Clean out the cricket container (May be more/less often, depending on what they eat.

Feeding:
Hatchlings- 6-20 crickets a day (I have found 8-10 depending on the gecko, but what they eat in about 10 mins)
Adults- Every other day, feed as many crix as will be eaten over night. Our male gets 8-10 (he's a fatty!) Females around 4-6 depending on which one.
Food should be dusted as per instructions on pot.

Basically, not including handling (Usually 15 mins per gecko a day for me, but I'm a softie!) You're looking at about 10-15 mins a day including feeding.

Hope that helps!!! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts