Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was feeding one of my leos yesterday, when i noticed she had a bit of shed on her. i made sure her hide was moist then left her to it. today when i was changing her water i noticed that something weird had developed where the shed skin was, the skin has came off, but i noticed that the skin has a normal texture, but seems white, like a scar/scab of some kind, she has nothing she can burn herself on and i have no idea what it is, the shed skin looked a bit weird though, more like a scab than retained shed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i was feeding one of my leos yesterday, when i noticed she had a bit of shed on her. i made sure her hide was moist then left her to it. today when i was changing her water i noticed that something weird had developed where the shed skin was, the skin has came off, but i noticed that the skin has a normal texture, but seems white, like a scar/scab of some kind, she has nothing she can burn herself on and i have no idea what it is, the shed skin looked a bit weird though, more like a scab than retained shed.
To help shed they often rub on 'sharp' objects e.g. a bark piece or slate, could it be that she tried to get the shed off too hard? If there are no 'sharp' objects it may be that she has rubbed up on something so much to get it off it had caused a rash/skin condition. Shouldn't be anything to
Worry about but I'm sure someone a lot more experienced than I will come along to help further.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i might be able to get a pic, i'm just really worried about it, she's kept with another female and has never showed any aggresion towards her or vice versa.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
i might be able to get a pic, i'm just really worried about it, she's kept with another female and has never showed any aggresion towards her or vice versa.
Sounds like it could be from a bite not much else it could be unless like mentioned earlier there is something in the Viv that she could cut herself on.
a picture would be good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just wanted to add - when I said nothing to worry about, I was assuming she hasnt been cut or bleeding? If she has been cut then you should get advice and take any crickets etc out of her viv or put her in another viv/tub on her own. Something like that in a warm environment will be a haven for microbes and other nasties!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
best pictures i could get, the marks were under shed, and if it was a bite idoubt a scab could develop that quick

wow, never knew my phone camera was that good

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Sounds like it could be from a bite not much else it could be unless like mentioned earlier there is something in the Viv that she could cut herself on.
*nods* looking at the pic it looks more like scarring from a bite and given the OP's description of the 'shed' looking more like a scab then skin I'd say chances are the other females been having a go ~ whether or not it's been in defence or domination I'd seperate them

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yeah going by those pictures i would say they are bite marks always shows up more after the shed as they have trouble shedding the areas that have been damaged.
can see what looks like some other bites on the body not as much damage but still signs of being bitten.
i know you say you have never seen them attack each other but you cant watch them 24/7.
i would separate them how old are they how long have they been together ? maybe they are reaching adulthood and are no longer tolerating each other.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've just checked my other female and she has a cut on her tail, i'm gonna have to seperate them, but until i can get RUB, would it be possible for one to live in a large flat faunarium for the night?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they're about 18 months old, they've been adults for a while but i think i'll get them both into RUBs. what size would be best?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
they're about 18 months old, they've been adults for a while but i think i'll get them both into RUBs. what size would be best?
Well in my opinion best size would be the 33 litre 605 x 370 x 145mm internal measurement or the 50 litre 605 x 370 x 200mm internal measurement both the same really 50 litre is a bit higher.
and yes a large faunarium will be fine for one or two nights.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
i've just checked my other female and she has a cut on her tail, i'm gonna have to seperate them, but until i can get RUB, would it be possible for one to live in a large flat faunarium for the night?
so long as the heatmat is used with a stat then one of the large flat 12"x18" fauneriums would be okay as an emergency temp until you get a RUB sorted ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is a heatmat (edit) stat* necessary? the mat will be outisde the tank and it doesn't make contact with the bottom of it.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
is a heatmat (edit) stat* necessary? the mat will be outisde the tank and it doesn't make contact with the bottom of it.
personally I'd say yes a stat is a necessity ~ even if an unstatted heatmat is not touching the bottom or close enough to burn it could still be capable of giving off enough heat to cause heat stress

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
even if i have a proper hot end/cool end correctly set up? o_O

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
even if i have a proper hot end/cool end correctly set up? o_O
the problem is if the heatmat is not controlled there's the risk of an unstatted heatmat overheating/burning out; also if an uncontrolled heatmat heats past acceptable temperatures then it could not only cause damage to any furnishings, RUBs etc but more importantly also affect the leo.... perhaps this thread here ~ http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/174166-do-i-really-need-thermostat.html ~ can show the importance of thermostats

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
point taken :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.