Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
a m8 of mine has play sand in his
My two 6 year old normals were kept on argos playsand for the first 2 years before i knew any better :blush: and it never did them any harm but after reading about what can happen if they ingest too much of it really put me off and i changed to lino. Plus the lino is just so much more convenient to clean than the sand was, it doesnt get stuck in the door runners and make that aweful sound, and you dont have to buy a new bag every few weeks. :lol2:

·
Registered
849 Posts
all i no is his have been on paly sand for 8 year now and are doing just fine
yeah well all i kinow is i have experiance of using both substrate mediums, with my leos and all risks aside Lino is just so much easier to work with. : victory:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
im using desert sand, its fine for em, its a tiny fine grade sand and they don't eat that much of it unlike calci sand which has added calcium so they eat a bit then can get addicted almost and just eat that for food then it clumps up in there stomach, with play sand or fine desert sand they'll be fine, its very rare to see a case of impaction these days, but that doesn't mean it cant happen, if u didn't wanna use sand lino or slate tiling work just aswell and like said easier to clean, i just prefer the more natural look of sand:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
yeah well all i kinow is i have experiance of using both substrate mediums, with my leos and all risks aside Lino is just so much easier to work with. : victory:
I agree. I know I could more often than not run across the rail crossing without getting hit by a train but it's really not worth risking it. It's the same with my substrate. As long as your Leo is well supplemented and has access to calcium it shouldn't try to find other ways to supplement itself via the sand but it's a risk I'm not willing to take. All my vivs have a Lino in them that looks like sand.

·
Registered
849 Posts
im using desert sand, its fine for em, its a tiny fine grade sand and they don't eat that much of it unlike calci sand which has added calcium so they eat a bit then can get addicted almost and just eat that for food then it clumps up in there stomach, with play sand or fine desert sand they'll be fine, its very rare to see a case of impaction these days, but that doesn't mean it cant happen, if u didn't wanna use sand lino or slate tiling work just aswell and like said easier to clean, i just prefer the more natural look of sand:whistling2:
I personnaly feel that sand within gaps between lots of rocks is much more "natural" for them as they spend the majority of their time in the nooks and crannies of arid rocky areas, more so than on the sand dunes themselves.: victory:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I agree. I know I could more often than not run across the rail crossing without getting hit by a train but it's really not worth risking it. It's the same with my substrate. As long as your Leo is well supplemented and has access to calcium it shouldn't try to find other ways to supplement itself via the sand but it's a risk I'm not willing to take. All my vivs have a Lino in them that looks like sand.
Very true : victory:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I personnaly feel that sand within gaps between lots of rocks is much more "natural" for them as they spend the majority of their time in the nooks and crannies of arid rocky areas, more so than on the sand dunes themselves.: victory:
granted, mine have got loadsa stuff in there for them to climb on so they can keep of the sand, each and everyone to there own aslong as no damage comes to the animal all is good, and personally i dont feel the sand im using will harm them in anyway: victory: but i do disagree with calci sand.. heard to many bad stories.. anyway all our leos are happy so winner right:2thumb: peace..

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using any sand, playsand, calci sand etc etc. Too much of a risk in my opinion. Just last week somebody on here that uses playsand, had a Leo that had an infection from slight impaction, and another of his got sand into his eyes again causing infection where it scratched the surface of the eye.

I use slate, look's just a good as sand, and is actually a closer representation of the type of surface they live on in the wild. I don't see why people take the risk but up to them hey, i echo what magick says with the use of Lino and Slate... It's much better health wise, plus it's easier to keep hygienic and clean:2thumb:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Im curremtly using lino/vinyl flooring as its easy to take out clean and replace, simples :2thumb:

^^^^^^^^^^^^I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE VIVS LIKE THIS !!! hmmm 1 day when i get my own house lol, i will own a beardie, and have a setup like this lol

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm using paper towels at the moment but i am looking at lino or tiles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.