Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What is the best substrate to use for a leopard gecko?

Also how can I make my viv warmer. I have a heat mat and use repti carpet as a substrate but it doesnt feel warm enough. The next size heat mat is 11in by 11in and the viv is 15in x 18in.

Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Hiya,

first up I'd say that 15x18 is too small if thats length - particularly with an 11inch mat, it will cover too much area.
Are you measuring the floor level temps - if so what with ?
Have you got a Thermostat ?
A mat should get plenty warm enough, are you in a wooden or glass viv ?

You need 30-32C minimum at the warm end which ideally should be 1/3rd of the enclosure side. 'Not Feeling' warm is a bit of a misleader really, as it won't feel particularly 'warm' to your hand at those temps.......

Substrate wise I have no experience of repti carpet but would use ceramic floor tiles or lino. Transfers heat fine and no impact risks. Easy to spot clean too........

·
Registered
582 Posts
how are you testing the temps. You should have digital thermometer with a probe that you can sit right on the surface or an infared temp reader.

As for teh substrate. There are many good choices. I personally like to use pieces of slate or natural rock as it looks pretty natural. You can also use tile, repticarpet, paper towel, lino. Most people stay away from sand especially the calcium kind because of the compaction issue. I use some play sand in my enclosures as a bed to lay the slate on. but substrate is one of those topics that will stir up lots of debate.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I use cage carpet and it works fine, never had any problems and the geckos seem comfatable on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A good, safe and attractive alternative to sand is shreded coconut husk (Coco peat)
I use it with all my geckos and frogs except for my desert species (in which i use sand (with no probs) as they burrow)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i use lino my vivs r 2x2 and may mat is 11x7 i was always worried this wasnt enough but then i got a infra red thermometer laser gun thing and it ended up my stat was on to high and the vivs were too hot the leos were never on the warm side, now i sorted the problem they are happyer. so i would say lino.x

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
as above with the heatmat being too big, they need a warm and cool side to regulate body temperature. but as substrate i use slate vinyl tiles non slip there really good and heat from the heatmats come through really nice keeping a stable temp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts