Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
I wanted to tame my leopard gecko I have seen that you can use insects to get them on your hand but I just wonder if there is another option I have seen people tame day geckos with honey could this work with leopard geckos:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Dont use honey. Try using patience for trust to be built and food wise try using a waxworm but only 1 per week as they have a high fat content. Good luck and enjoy your leo

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Just take your time with it. There is no rush to 'tame' it as you will potentially have it 20+ years. Firstly gain it's trust by feeding, watering and cleaning it with out any contact. Once it seems happy with you entering it's space try placing food items( easiest with worms ) near to where it is in the viv, showing you are not a threat but a giant food machine. Then try feeding with tweezers and then move on to hand feeding. Then try coaxing it onto your hand with food and gently raise it off the ground higher every time until you can get it out the viv without startling it. Keep progressing as slowly as needed.

Obviously what I have said won't work for everyone or every gecko but this has worked for me in the past. It will also take a few days for some geckos and others a few months. I would also like to point out that I don't handle my geckos as they don't enjoy it they tolerate it( with lots of patience usually ). If you want an animal you can pet within days of acquiring it buy a puppy, they also actually enjoy human contact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts