Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My partner and I recently got a new and first, leopard gecko, who wont eat.

He isn't a baby, we got told he was an adult but they didn't know his actual age and he looks adult sized.

We have had him 3 months now...

He has the same food bowl and viv he has always been in according to the people we got him from, and they said he was a good eater...

He has however shed since we've got him...

His tail is loosing it's fatness and I'm really worried about him :(

Help?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi,
My partner and I recently got a new and first, leopard gecko, who wont eat.

He isn't a baby, we got told he was an adult but they didn't know his actual age and he looks adult sized.

We have had him 3 months now...

He has the same food bowl and viv he has always been in according to the people we got him from, and they said he was a good eater...

He has however shed since we've got him...

His tail is loosing it's fatness and I'm really worried about him :(

Help?

other people will be able to help more but, what are you feeding him? and have you tried different foods?

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
What different live foods have you been trying him on?
What are your temperatures like? Hot end and cool end, and what are you using to heat the tank?
What is your substrate?
How long has he not been eating?
What is his current weight if you know?
Has he had any recent faecal tests for parasites?
And just a shot in the dark here, are you sure he's a he?

Sorry for all the questions but to ascertain a possible problem and solution, we need to know about your current husbandry : victory:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here goes...

What different live foods have you been trying him on?
We have tried black crickets, meal worms and wax worms.

What are your temperatures like? Hot end and cool end, and what are you using to heat the tank?
We are using the heat matt that came with the viv, it is 27 in the warm end and 22/23 in the cool end.

What is your substrate?
He is on sand that he came with. It's desert sand rather than calcium.

How long has he not been eating?
about a month now, maybe a month and a half :(
He used to munch on meal worms but ALWAYS refused crickets.

What is his current weight if you know?
He weighs in at 41grams...

Has he had any recent faecal tests for parasites?
No

And just a shot in the dark here, are you sure he's a he?
We got told it was a he and looking at sites to check he looks like a he to us..so I'm like 80% sure it's a he. :)

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Okay temperatures want boosting up, they should be around 31-32 degrees at the hot end as the heat aids with digestion.
And have you considered locusts? Or even mushing up crickets or mealworms and putting the goo around the leo's mouth?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay temperatures want boosting up, they should be around 31-32 degrees at the hot end as the heat aids with digestion.
And have you considered locusts? Or even mushing up crickets or mealworms and putting the goo around the leo's mouth?
thank you so much for the quick replies :flrt:

This is going to be a really stupid question I guess :blush: but what would be the best way to boost his temps using a heat mat?
His viv lid is however mesh, so I'm thinking maybe putting something on top of the mesh would help?

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
This is going to be a really stupid question I guess :blush: but what would be the best way to boost his temps using a heat mat?
His viv lid is however mesh, so I'm thinking maybe putting something on top of the mesh would help?
The lid won't change much as they rely on belly heat rather than air temperature.
Do you have the mat connected to a thermostat? You set the temperature to maximum and minimum on the stat and it switches itself on and off when the temperatures reach the desired level.
As an added thought, what kind of mat is it (Exo Terra, Lucky Reptile, etc) and what wattage is it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lid won't change much as they rely on belly heat rather than air temperature.
Do you have the mat connected to a thermostat? You set the temperature to maximum and minimum on the stat and it switches itself on and off when the temperatures reach the desired level.
As an added thought, what kind of mat is it (Exo Terra, Lucky Reptile, etc) and what wattage is it?
No we don't have it connected to a thermostat...
Is this something that we should invest in asap?

The mat is lucky reptile 14 watt

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
A thermostat would certainly help. It may be just the temperatures that are depressing his appetite so the sooner they are boosted, the sooner he may be gobbling bugs up again! ;)
Once you get the stat and get the temps to 31-32 degrees, give it a couple of days. If the appetite doesn't pick back up then there may be underlying problems.
Incidentally I would also suggest getting faecal samples taken to a veterinarian, just to make sure that there are no underlying issues such as parasites that would suppress the appetite or impede on weight gain : victory:

·
Registered
116 Posts
is the mat in or benith the viv?, and are your temps taken in the air or on the floor?
you could try thinning the sand above the mat which should raise the floor temp

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
yes a thermostat is an essential piece of kit for any reptile owner, you need to get one like asap to accurately control your temps.

I would suggest trying him on locusts, and maybe a vet check up is in order too, get some faecal tests done for parasites.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is the mat in or benith the viv?, and are your temps taken in the air or on the floor?
you could try thinning the sand above the mat which should raise the floor temp
The mat is in the viv and the temps are taken from about 4 inches above the floor level
I shall try thinning the sand a bit :D thank you for the idea :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
The mat is in the viv and the temps are taken from about 4 inches above the floor level
I shall try thinning the sand a bit :D thank you for the idea :)
The temperatures should be taken right on the very floor of the vivarium as that is where the gecko gets his heat : victory:
I take it the viv is wooden?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes a thermostat is an essential piece of kit for any reptile owner, you need to get one like asap to accurately control your temps.

I would suggest trying him on locusts, and maybe a vet check up is in order too, get some faecal tests done for parasites.
Will get some locusts in and see if they tempt him :)

With him not eating he hasn't really been pooping :(

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
I'll take the temps again but on floor level :)

The viv is glass
Hmm... I'd think that with a glass viv the heat mat should go on the outside of the viv, on the bottom, with circulation underneath the tank so the glass doesn't crack... I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference though if it's on a loose substrate... thoughts, people?
I've always known it as wooden viv = inside below substrate, glass viv = outside on bottom of glass...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts