Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife and I recently adopted two leopard geckos that were being cared for really poorly. We thought they were both female since they were raised together since they were bought as babies and had no trouble. We've been nursing one of them for MBD since we got them and its finally feeling better. So much better in fact that he attempted to mate with the other one. Unfortunately where we live we can only have one viv, we can't get another to house the babies or to keep them separate so he won't knock her up. He's been really predatory and aggressive since we stopped them, but now we don't know what to do. Is there a way to keep them from mating? or Would it be possible to separate the tank(30gal) with cardboard? I just want him to keep his lizard bits in his skin flap. That thing is really freaking my wife out. lol

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
How about rehoming one of them? Or you could have a rub set up instead of a viv, this would be preferable to them being together and would not take up as much room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, our apartment complex only allows one 20 gal for aquarium/viv types pets, so we're already pushing it wit the 30, but I doubt anyone will notice. If the cardboard doesn't work then re-homing will be the only option. It's really stable, and I really don't think either of them are even smart enough to try and move it. plus it lets their dubias run between the sides. I think it might work now that I've set it up. Now I'm just wondering if anyone else has done something like this before.

·
Registered
22,080 Posts
I'd recommend rehoming one. That size area each is too small in my opinion. There doesn't seem much room for that one on the right plus it's going to be hard to get a decent heat gradient in such a small space. How are you heating both sections?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Is there heating on both sides individually statted?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a heating pad that i re-positioned so it covers half of each side, so they both have a warm and cool side still, plus an over head lamp. As per the size, I read that 10 is good for one adult so I figured that the 15 would be okay, was that a poor assumption?

·
Registered
22,080 Posts
No idea with gallons. I go by length and depth measurements. Anything you read is always a minimum and if you can offer more space it's never a bad thing. My leos have a 4ft vivarium each.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Well you have done a good job for a temporary measure not sure for long term though. What are the measurements of each section in feet and inches?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts