Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people

Ive been keeping and breeding leopard geckos for about 4 or 5 years now but ive always just kept them on paper towels but was thinking about moving the adults onto sand to make it more natural for themselves.

Have any of you had any problems with keeping them on sand? (all my geckos are fed outside the viv so they wont be able to intake any sand)

The college I go to succesfully breed geckos and they are all kept on sand and I was just wondering if many people had any problems with their geckos by doing it?

I know the safest and easiest way is to use paper towels or newspaper but I wanted it to be more natural for the geckos.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If you wish for it to be more 'natural' for your geckos then keep them on slate tiles or rough tiles as this is a lot more natural than sand. Leo's do not actually live on sand in the wild. They live on hard, compacted clay soil in the wild. So in effect using sand for their substrate is not 'natural' at all. :2thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Leopard geckos dont live on sand in the desert
they live on clay sort of substance
and rocks
so vinyl flooring, tiles and slate and all better than sand :)

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
as above... however, in answer to your actual question - i kept mine on sand for ages and never had any issues, i used the playsand from argos, cheap and easy to clean, just use a sieve to collect poop :) i only changed because i scrapped vivs and moved to RUBS so i could house individually x

Reactions: Ben678

·
Registered
617 Posts
I lost one of my leos to sand impaction.

Even if you feed your leos outside of the viv they can still ingest sand. They tend to lick new things in their environment and they'll lick the sand because it's new. They can also walk it into their water dish or suplement dish which can lead the them ingesting it.

Plus some leos are flat out stupid and will just eat the stuff cos it's there, just like my Waffles did. Then you get the joy of finding one very stiff, dead leo in your viv.

And as above with the 'natural' environment thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have always used play sand with my Geckos with no problems, but if you wanted a eu de natural then slate or stone :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts