Reptile Forums banner

What substrate do you keep your adult leopard geckos on?

• Corn cob granules (aka Desert Blend)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been argued over on other posts, and I'm opening pandora's box by posting this, but I'm interested in seeing what the percentages work out at for substrates used for leopard geckos by other keepers on this forum. This poll applies to ADULT geckos only.
My predictions are that play sand and wood chips will come out on top, but I may be wrong of course!

Hannah

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
corn cob granuels BIG no no, i voted kitchen roll!:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
i use wood chip. usually different colours, my gecko was was on woodchip before i got her so it is what she is used too/

·
Registered
188 Posts
ive never really considered keeping my baby on a different substrate. i think it would be best to keep her on what she is used to though as dont want to unsettle her. what substrate is the healthiest for her

·
Registered
669 Posts
i got my newest gecko a couple of weeks ago hes around 2yrs old and i was told hed always been keep on bark chippings...so thats what i put him on untill i found the big poo hed done was nothing but bark! very nasty to see and frightened me somewhat. hes fine tho thankfully. now on cage carpet or kitchen roll...so it wont happen again!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
ive never had any trouble like that and i do keep eye on her pooing so i can clean it out asap. dont they try and eat to kitchen roll?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
what about slate???? :shock: ????
would recomend that to EVERYONE!!! :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
do you think its best to change from chippings

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i would Gem......but like the title says, its a pandora's box, most people keep on calci sand with no problems, but i would not risk it, not for my leopold!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
i heard calci sanf sticks to the gecko and food. i dont really know what to do. half of me says keep her to what she is used to and the other half syas change and see what is better. she has never had any problems with the chippings but that doesn.t mean there wont be any in the future

·
Registered
188 Posts
pleasr excuse really bad spelling

please excuse the really bad spelling in last post but i have hurt my hand and cant type properly

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
is she a clumsy eater? if not then the likleness of you having problems with wood chips will be slim, but i use slate tiles in all my leo vivs, with a small amount of calci sand just to fill the gaps, this also helps keep the nails down!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
since when do geckos have sharp nails anyway?

i use lino so i cant pick an option.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
my mates leos have quite sharp nails, but all mine are on slate, so just put it down to that........oh well.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
hehe maybe its just cuz im used to bosc nails so the strength of my leos is easily nowhere near as strong, so i dont see many leo scratches :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts