Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking after tilly the leopard tortoise for the next fortnight

he wasted no time making himself at home

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Do you have any grass or hay to feed this tortoise? This is an innapropriate diet for him. If you look at his shell formation you can see clearly what happens when they are fed a poor diet. Leopards come from the arid grasslands of Africa and have evolved to eat grass, grass and more grass. If he continues to eat the wrong food and grows in such an uneven fashion he will not live long :(
Put him on a lawn so that he can graze and throw the salad stuff away it's bad for him :( Also do not feed fruit or pelleted diet.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have to agree with sue too. thanks for the pics, i love seeing leopards they are unarguably the most attractive tortoises, their shape and shell is better than any other.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as i say he was helping himself - this is not his diet so don't have a go before you even ask any questions. get off the high horse for a second. the mixed leaves were there because i was using some of them for part of the rabbit and guinea pigs food.
:evil:

i am looking after him for two weeks and this is his first day - see the thread about reptile shops in derbyshire for the reasons why is shell is mis-shapen. wrong advice given to the owner from the pet shop owner. he is fed properly now - he is out grazing at the minute. enjoying dandelions, sow thistle and grass. and yes he has a load of hay that he can munch on too.

you are obviously concerned about animals and tilly's shell like you say is a result of bad diet - but you could have asked a bit more before attacking. ah well as long as you feel better about yourself

·
Registered
121 Posts
have u got a pic of the back of the tortoise, i am fasinated at the mo by how different the back scute is on each leopard i see, i would love a close up on the back scute

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it only felt like an attack because you assumed that that was all he was fed. when in fact it was not his in the first place.

thank you for offering the advice - it could just have been worded nicer than the way you went for. maybe you should have asked what his diet was before telling me what it should be

and although i put in the original post that i was only looking after him for a fortnight, it seemed from your words as if you were accusing me of causing his shell deformities.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
it only felt like an attack because you assumed that that was all he was fed.
Well,if we see pictures of a tortoise tucking into lettuce- without saying otherwise (like I think its common sense today in a group of tortoise lovers)
I think you are the one on your high horse to be honest :roll:

·
Registered
85 Posts
tortoise_dude said:
it only felt like an attack because you assumed that that was all he was fed.
Well,if we see pictures of a tortoise tucking into lettuce- without saying otherwise (like I think its common sense today in a group of tortoise lovers)
I think you are the one on your high horse to be honest :roll:
true the picture is misleading and really does show the tortoise tucking into the wrong food allbeit once

and it is also true the good advice could have been worded better and too many conclusions and assumptions were drawn which turned out to be incorrect

I think Miss Marple needn't worry about losing her BBC contract just yet!

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Actually Saucy Squeegy you seem to be a very aggressive person with some sort of hang up as to how things are worded, how we should present ourselves in your eyes and just about who should say what and when to whom!
Personally I am only interested in the welfare of these creatures, not in how you percieve emails and if I can offer a bit of good advice I will, whatever you may seem to think. Having seen you on a few other groups in the last year or so, it seems you always want to have a go. Maybe when you have a few more years experience under your belt you may think a little differently. No one was having a go or undermining anyone, you seem to be the only one getting hot under the collar about it so why not sit back, put your feet up and chill a while. Failing that you could maybe join the Derren Brown Shool of mind reading - always good for a laugh ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure if you've mixed up two people there - some seems directed at me but you mention the other person by name

sorry i did go a bit over the top - to be fair i should have explained more in my original post. i just didn't like that i felt like i was being accused of deforming a tortoise which at that point had been in my care for two hours. i should have also said more before barging in in retaliation

your advice of course was sound - and i thank you for that. i guess other people reading this thread who didn't know what to do will benefit from your advice even if it was moot with me

no hard feelings. i will be posting more pics of tilly during his stay - but any more seemingly incriminating ones will be thoroughly explained :wink:

take care

stu

·
Registered
520 Posts
How come you have him for 2 weeks?are you tort sitting?(sorry if you have mentioned this in a previous post)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah - i'm tort sittiting while the owner is on holiday - he's keeping some of my weed population down too:D .

he's so cute. it's raining at the minute though so i've brought some of the weeds in to him

·
Registered
85 Posts
slappiwag said:
not sure if you've mixed up two people there - some seems directed at me but you mention the other person by name
she does not like her lack of tact in giving advice pointed out, and that makes me aggressive apparently...! But yes I think she combined in this topic what you and I put in a blindless massive vent of air! It's not the first time she has incorrectly jumped the conclusions

I was challenging, not aggressive :roll: there is a remarkable difference and as for your comment on experience, my dear whether I have one day or twenty years (as my friend does) in tortoise care it will not change my more educated perception in the study of the english language and communication and persuasion skills - maybe when you have a few more years experience under your belt you may think a little differently....!

now if you have anything more to say an email will do rather than subjecting people again to your targetted vents of anger...! This is a forum about tortoises, not about me and most certainly not about you.

saying that you do have some very good advice and I have never disputed that, merely the delivery of it is not the most appealing thing to date, and also the childish stopping of receiving emails from a yahoo group... honestly how old are you...?! never mind :roll: :roll:

back on topic - stu I missed it I think how old are the torts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
saucy susie

Hi, I am new to this list but from what I can see I wouldnt like to get on the wrong side of you. You have an unfortunate attitude. Sorry if I'm wrong but that's just my first impression.

·
Registered
2 Posts
saucy susie

Hi, I am new to this list but from what I can see I wouldnt like to get on the wrong side of you. You have an unfortunate attitude. Sorry if I'm wrong but that's just my first impression.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there's just the one - his name's tilly as his owner was sold him as a female. turn's out he's not though

he is about four years old and about a foot long so plenty of growing to do yet!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: saucy susie

TIGERLILY said:

so you joined the forum just to mention that.... hm how perculiar... :wink:

so he's tillyoh bless lol you can never really tell when they are so young originally whether they will be a he or a she, I hope the other torts don't pick on him ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts