Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking after a 4 year old leopard tortoise for a fortnight and am in the process of adapting a large bookcase into a viv for him at the minute.

does anyone have any advice?

also - if anyone could give me any general advice for making his stay with me the best possible i would really appreciate that too

thanks

stuart

·
Registered
85 Posts
probably best to keep him in an open topped environment rather than a viv - the leopards are massive and there probably won't be enough room

erm I know this sounds silly but a draw from a cupboard usually does for a makeshift enclosure for a little while and makes clipping the uv lights on easier - of course make sure the sides are high enough so he doesn't escape randomly. You can also get the cheap fence cages from ebay and in pet shops that are for putting on the grass etc so you can fence off an area for him and have a sheltered area incase of sudden rain...

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
well the info i no for a leopard tortoise is
they can weigh up to 88lbs, Specialest vivaria are required for overwintering it. It loves all the heat it can get, and doesn't hibernate. It enjoys roaming so a large enclousre in needed,or even heated greenhouses.
good luck Joe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice guys - i can't wait for him to arrive. he's a biggie but should be a brilliant experience having him in the house

·
Registered
121 Posts
bathe him daily for 20 mins (warm water )so he can have a good drink and shed any skin loose

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lots of pics will be taken and posted don't worry

also hoping to get some drawings done of him as well as the leo and the frog while i'm off work

will get some pics of the frogs new viv as well when i start on that

look forward to giving him a bath - apparently he absolutely hates anything remotely damp

·
Registered
105 Posts
good luck with him i was gona get one once but it was way too much money.
Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts