• YES

Votes: 54 85.7%
  • NO

Votes: 9 14.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
yeah its essential because they take heat in from underneath to digest food:)

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I use a bulb in the main viv works fine . just like the sun basicly.
hi, but how do you heat at night ..people should realy use heatmats but i use both light and heat at day and just heatmat at night its more natural init ..:blush:

·
Registered
157 Posts
they need a heat mat so they can go on top and digest their food and it is a good heat source

·
Registered
78 Posts
I stick to a thermostat with a bulb, with lower temperatures at night, seen too many geckos with burns to risk using a heat mat.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I stick to a thermostat with a bulb, with lower temperatures at night, seen too many geckos with burns to risk using a heat mat.
a heatmat wouldn't burn a leo if it was on a thermostat set up correctly, heat mats on 24 hours a day also, as well as all the above comments help keep the leo's colours bright, nightly cooling makes the skin synthasize melanin making the gecko dull down over time

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
a blub works like a heatmat, its heats up the rock under the light which they can lay on and get belly heat to digest their food... but yeah at night they dont have that... i use a heatmat anyway but yeah

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
heatmat all the way!!!!!!!!!!!
u probably could use a bulb but why bothe when u no that heatmats are better
nice comment, also make sure u use a thermostat with HEATMATS they can burn ..

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
well make sure you use a stat with anything really
you dont always need one, i dont use one with my beardie, ive found a bulb that heat his viv fine and the same with the wd's i only use a dimmer with my curly-tails and a mat-stat with my leo.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
i think a mod should close this b4 it gets into an argument .. ..
i wasnt argueing i was just saying :lol2: but yeah i agree people will be down on liam.b like a tonn of bricks

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
heatmat, heatmat and heatmat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I use a bulb (on at night, but one of the colours they can't see so won't disturb them), and just have a hide or two under it so they can lie on the warmed hide if they want. Worked fine for me for years.: victory:

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
i use a heat mat...
people say that bulbs are fine, (yes they heat etc etc... they are like the ''sun'') but leos are .... nocturnal, meaning they wouldnt even see the sun....

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Badly worded poll,

No a heat mat is not essential

I have loads of leos, and NOT ONE heat mat in use for them !

But, if i read between the lines, are you asking if a heat mat is best?

Nope, thats not true either, I would say under floor heating is IMHO better for leos, but by no means does this mean bulbs and ceramics are no good for them.

The main thing is your leo has the right ground temps, dont risk burns and has a day night cycle. How ever that is achieved is up to each keeper

1 - 20 of 22 Posts