Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow got my snakes today!
There such lovely little things!! You can just see there vestigial eyes :)
Got a pair of each and though I dont know there sex I can still hope they will breed :)
Will put some pics up if any one is interested, if not I will continue to enjoy them my self lol :)

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Wow got my snakes today!
There such lovely little things!! You can just see there vestigial eyes :)
Got a pair of each and though I dont know there sex I can still hope they will breed :)
Will put some pics up if any one is interested, if not I will continue to enjoy them my self lol :)
Awesome stuff...post pics please :flrt:

Everyone will want to see these when they're on their lunchbreak or when they get back from work lol

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
agreed with above pics are needed

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you will find that they are parthenogenic..ie they can produce young without a male..most typhlops being female.....

What are you feeding them on?

·
Registered
17,332 Posts
Blind snakes huh?....Now these i really would like to see...pics pretty please!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok so had a dig through there vivs but could only catch one of the Leptotyphlos cairi,

This is there viv,

And this is the viv for the Typhlops vermicularis,
Which look much darker/black if they where not nearly see through that is :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can see the little vestigial eye in the first pic.
Sorry there not great pics but there fast :)

As for num nums they eat thrips, spring tails and mites living in the substrate.

Really would love it if there parthenogenic, it would all so make sense.

Does any one else keep these???????

:)

·
Registered
17,332 Posts
Golly gosh...They really are tiny. Never ever seen them before, the set-ups look great. Good luck with these, i like them alot!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Are these the ones David Attenborough calls 'flowerpot snakes'? I saw something on the web about them, they called them 'worm snakes'.

Hmm ... I have a spare tank ... where did you get them from?:flrt:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Answers-

Leptotyphlos is the one often called "flower pot snake" given there habbit of travelling in them to new places lol

I have 4 snakes, 2 x Leptotyphlos c. and 2 x Typhlops v.
If I can find more species then I will get more :)

I will ask my friend if he can get some more Lilith and let you know.

Saosin, yep that's it, but I really like knowing there so happy in there doing what they do best. All my animals live in viv's that mimic there natural environment and that often means there not "on show" :)

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
i've seen a few down in florida... you can see the eggs right through them when they are gravid...

i never kept them though...

i wish you luck!:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Saosin, yep that's it, but I really like knowing there so happy in there doing what they do best. All my animals live in viv's that mimic there natural environment and that often means there not "on show" :)

lol fair play to you man : victory: - I love naturalistic setups, but it does create more work cleaning them out!! .. when I get a GTP I will go for a full on naturallistic setup if I can, but that's a while down the line yet :)

Good luck with them

Mark

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
so dinky , never seen these before but cute , congrats and nice set up for them :flrt:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Answers-

Leptotyphlos is the one often called "flower pot snake" given there habbit of travelling in them to new places lol

I have 4 snakes, 2 x Leptotyphlos c. and 2 x Typhlops v.
If I can find more species then I will get more :)

I will ask my friend if he can get some more Lilith and let you know.

Thanks, I will look on net and read up about them in the meantime - I have this spare tank but also a huge bottle garden in a converted biorb, which I'm thinking could be adapted to the needs of these snakes. My only reservation would be, what food will they eat in winter, unless I could set up a supply of little soil organisation beasties, insects etc breeding in the substrate beforehand. But I will get researching. Thanks again.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If they're flowerpot snakes, I could call them Bill and Ben!

(And before anyone else says it - yeah, I'm the little weed ...):lol2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts