Reptile Forums banner

Have you sent any communication?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of the reptile keepers here have sent any communication to those in charge of the EPS Legislation?

This is not necessarily a letter format as offerd by Pro Keeper's Lobby but any form of communication voicing your concern about the changes that will happen.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know many of you will probably not wish to divulge but if posisble, would you mind saying what you have sent or if you have said no, id there a particular reason for it?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
You can see what I've sent on the PKL Website.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I havent done anything, ive got other things id rather be doing with my spare time tbh.

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I've sent quite a few letters, by email, by fax, in writing.. and tried phoning various organisations.. all in an attempt mostly to find out how it will actually effect me as a retailer.

Apparently trying to do the responsible thing and find out if I am breaking the law (and how to correctly abide by it) by selling certain animals... is pointless, because no one seems to know... or if they do, they don't care if I know or not :lol2:

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ssithso :0

Thanks for your honesty WTP :)

thanks Athraven :)

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Well, I'm still chasing Natural England for answers to my questions. They SAID I'd have answers by the 20th of October... but nothing yet. Sent another message to them on Monday about it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I meant to write this earlier, Nerys and l also sent off our responses to the twits.

And l would urge all keepers to please try and send something to DEFRA?EPS Natural England, you never know, your reptiles might next be on a hit list.

Hells bells, primates are now nearly on an EPS version.

Whose next???????????????

R
PKL

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
And, like magic, I gripe on here that I've had no answers and guess what appears? My questions are in bold, their responses are not:

1. How likely is it that an applicant who is trying to obtain a license for animals they owned prior to April 2007 will succeed in their license application?
Clearly I cannot predetermine a licence application. However, Natural England's will presume to issue licence for the possession of Annex IV species for private keepers which were held in their possession prior to August 2007. We understand that it may be difficult to prove that these species were taken legally from the wild.

2. What would be considered reasonable documentary evidence of origin? I purchased my animals from a private keeper in February of 2006, and there was no receipt issued. I’m not sure I even have the keeper’s name on file, let alone his contact details, as these animals were unregulated at the time they were purchased. I have veterinary records showing that I had the animals prior to April 2007, however.
For animals which came into possession since August 07 we will normally require the applicant to confirm that the species have been taken legally.

3. Since licenses have not existed for these species before, does the “two references, preferably with similar licenses, to demonstrate your abilities” request apply to private pet keepers?
We will require references. This does not have to be from an existing licensee.

4. How much information does Natural England require about the housing of these animals, and will the personal housing and maintenance choices of private keepers, based on their experiences with their own animals, have an effect on whether or not a license is granted?
It is the individual keepers duty to ensure that they comply with the Animal Welfare Act 2006. It would also be an offence to release a species which is not ordinarily resident in Great Britain in a wild state or if it is a species listed on Schedule 9. We are therefore asking for brief information regarding the nature of the enclosures and for some species this would not be relevant.

5. The licensing form asks for justification for keeping the animal. How much information is required? Is “The animal is a family pet” considered suitable justification?
The legislation allows Natural England to issue licences for specified purposes. In situations where the justification does not meet any of the stated purposes then the legislation allows us to issue licences on a selective basis and to a limited extent providing that there is no satisfactory alternative and that the actions authorised will not be detrimental to the maintenance of the population of the species concerned at a favourable conservation status. In summary Natural England can only issue licences for pet keepers on a selective and limited basis unless the possession contributes to one of the other specified purposes.

6. The licensing form also asks “Why do you need to possess this animal / what alternatives have you considered?” Again, what would be considered suitable for a private keeper to respond? People are frightened that they will be told that their family pets will be taken away and housed elsewhere or euthanized if they cannot answer this question correctly.
Please state your rationale for possession

7. What third parties would be given access to applicant details – and under which circumstances? Again, private keepers are concerned that if they fail in their application, they will have a knock on the door from an enforcement agency to take their pets away.
Information regarding Data Protection is stated on the application form

8. How likely are site visits, when it comes to private keeper applications? The wording of the license seems to imply that applying for a license gives the right for a site visit even without the presence of the keeper – and this is worrying for those of us who keep our animals in our homes.
Site visits are carried out on limited basis. We would not normally consider it appropriate to undertake a site visit in private homes.

9 What would happen to the animals if someone applies for a license and fails?
10. What would happen to the animals if someone does not apply, is prosecuted and their animals are confiscated?
The police are responsible for enforcing breaches under the Habitats Regulations.

If you, or colleagues, currently possess Annex IV species which are not captive bred and which was taken from the wild since 1994 I advise you to apply for a licence using the appropriate licence application form. Please complete the form as far as you are able and then write any further information which you think is relevant on separate pages.
Note the text in red.

Folks, if you own EPS species and you can't prove they're captive bred or any sort of documentary evidence of WHEN you got them... start considering taking them to the vets for the last trip. Natural England isn't there to issue licenses to pet keepers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts