Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people let their Terrapins out the tanks for a while to roam about. I was wondering what kind of set ups people have to allow this?
I don't know how comfortable i'd be for example letting them run wild in my living room, just as they can hide somewhere stupid an accidents can happen.

Any advice? What do you guys do?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I know many people let their Terrapins out the tanks for a while to roam about. I was wondering what kind of set ups people have to allow this?
I don't know how comfortable i'd be for example letting them run wild in my living room, just as they can hide somewhere stupid an accidents can happen.

Any advice? What do you guys do?
they would hate it, terrapins dont like to be far from the water because they need it to feel safe

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. I hear about a lot of people letting them roam free for a while around their kitchens etc? Like they even walk right up to their owners or follow them into the next room etc :p

but I see where you're coming from lol

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
A big no. Think of it this way, when they are basking, and they get spooked where do they go? Straight into the water where they feel safe, I've never heard of a turtle who has been spooked to jump out of the tank and go for a wander around the kitchen. Have you?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Some people seem to think it's cute and the turt is having fun, in reality it's probably stressed and looking for the nearest place of safety. Put yourself in the mind of a small turtle to which just about every other animal is a potential predator. How would you feel if someone removed you from your familiar surroundings and the safety of water, and dumped you in a wide open space with no cover?

It doesn't take much to realise that this is a really bad idea and not at all in the animal's interests.

Reactions: JoPwerks

·
Registered
727 Posts
:gasp:

This worry's me that people will do this as you can see they don't look happy away from what they know.

When I've taken mine out of the tank (to clean it) you can see he's desperate to get back in.

Not good!

·
Registered
508 Posts
my turtle stays in his tank, like others have said.. just taking him out to clean the tank is bad enough.. they should have a big enough tank to roam about and explore!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Trouble is most people don't really understand animal behaviour, they see their animals as having human attributes, and a little turt running around on the carpet, to them, looks as though it's having fun.

It's not just turtles, people do it with all sorts of animals, how many times have you heard the phrase "He thinks he's a human"? No he doesn't! You think that he thinks he's a human, because you don't understand his behaviour.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Trouble is most people don't really understand animal behaviour, they see their animals as having human attributes, and a little turt running around on the carpet, to them, looks as though it's having fun.

It's not just turtles, people do it with all sorts of animals, how many times have you heard the phrase "He thinks he's a human"? No he doesn't! You think that he thinks he's a human, because you don't understand his behaviour.
I have many animals and some of them learn to trust you and others will never trust but all only really ever come to you for food.

A turtle running around and coming to you means one thing in my book and that's "get me back in the water"

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Exactly Jo. Even the most domesticated and interactive of animals, such as dogs, only ever see you as part of their pack. It probably doesn't even occur to them that you are a different species, and they certainly don't "think" they are human no matter what human attributes they may appear to display.

Anthropomorphism is responsible for some of the most basic misunderstandings of an animals needs, and the sooner some people realise that and start treating their animals as animals, rather than cute little people, the better it will be for all of them.

Reactions: JoPwerks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow!

All right then. In the tank they stay haha.
Thanks for your advise guys. Clearly I've been seeing people do some silly things with their turtles.

Thanks for all your help. And now I think about it. It does seem stupid lol.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
And now I think about it. It does seem stupid
And most of the time that's all you need to do... think about it! All animals have evolved certain behaviour patterns, and if you're unsure all you need do is to think about what they do in the wild and why, you'll rarely go wrong if you aim to emulate that as closely as possible.

Just in case Marc, I hope you don't think my mini rant was aimed at you in any way because it wasn't, just something that's been bugging me for some time and I think needed saying.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It would be great if this thread could be linked to all all the YouTube vids of turtles in strange places!

Well done Marc for asking the question :2thumb:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No not at all Graham. Everyone on here is passionate about their pets/animals so obviously its easy to get carried away when something as silly as what I asked gets brought up. So I would only ever take it personally if you made it so, which of course you didn't. I'm really great full for the advice guys. Thanks :).

·
Registered
727 Posts
No not at all Graham. Everyone on here is passionate about their pets/animals so obviously its easy to get carried away when something as silly as what I asked gets brought up. So I would only ever take it personally if you made it so, which of course you didn't. I'm really great full for the advice guys. Thanks :).
Ooooo mine wasn't directed at you either, it was more to do with the person you said let the little turtle run around the house. Sorry if you think I was having a go, It wasnt directed towards you at all I was just worried about the turt :2thumb:

·
Registered
210 Posts
They always position themselves to dive into the water at any sign of danger. I often here the splash of them diving in ... if someone wants a pet to run around there room buy an indoor rabbit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts