Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may or may not take off....but thought it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to this rather under rated family of pythons! my personal favorites are macklots, I recently acquired a lovely female macklots after like a fool I let go of my big male around 5 years ago, it strikes me that these are really overlooked and mis-understood snakes with a LOT to offer! personally I think they are beautiful and very interesting pythons! I also find them to be much more "aware" than many other species....they have a bad rep for being aggressive, but my experience with them is the opposite! I had a youngster years ago who was a bitey little so and so when I got him, but after two weeks of regular handling he was amazing! no fear or defensiveness....and seemed to thoroughly "enjoy" the chance to come out and explore, sadly he passed away for unknown reasons, but my big adult male was the same...super friendly and VERY "outgoing"....my new female seems much the same so far! so come on Liasis keepers! lets give these beauties the spotlight for once :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I'd say mine aren't aggressive or even particularly defensive but their quite head shy. They don't really appreciate anything too close to their faces. I do have a different approach for handling them which caffers showed me and its much more confident. Ill scoop my carpets quite gently out making sure their off their perches where as with these ill hook mid body and confidently grab with the other hand and bring them out. Seems to work great and their both fine when out mooching

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
A little bit off topic here Ian, but just watched the updated video of your Tiger 'tic and wondered how big actually is she in that video and how old? Would be very interesting to see her growth rate if both parents were under 10ft!

On topic, I do plan on getting a Woma or Spotted (certain Spotted's fit into this category?) sometime in the distant future.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
A little bit off topic here Ian, but just watched the updated video of your Tiger 'tic and wondered how big actually is she in that video and how old? Would be very interesting to see her growth rate if both parents were under 10ft!

On topic, I do plan on getting a Woma or Spotted (certain Spotted's fit into this category?) sometime in the distant future.
aspidites and anteresia i think lad

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Definitely agree that they are a very aware and curious species that have some real 'personality' - Great genus, well deserving of their own thread and more attention :2thumb:

The one-eyed wonder, under flash;

And about to shed;

They are extremely powerful snakes for their size too! The young Macklot I recently held was very strong.

Tom

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
One of my favourites genus!!

Although we are missing Dunns pythons in the tags

Twiglet and Fangio had a beautiful Dunns python, I'll see if I can find the pic I took

Mack's are prob my favourite although I'd love to have the ever elusive fuscus one day

Just for those not sure on the genus

Liasis mackloti has 3 sub species:

L.m.mackloti (macklots python)
L.m.savuensis (savu or white eyed python)
L.m.dunni (dunns python)

Then you have Liasis olivaceous (olive python)

And lastly Liasis fuscus (water python)

Apologies for the lack of italics...hard on an iPhone!

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great responses so far! and Helen, I have added dunns (not sure how I forgot them :blush:) and longqi I do love whitelips! but they are now Leiopython albertisii....another species I have kept though, and would definitely like to keep again!! :no1:....loving the fuscus too!! not something you see often here at all!!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
One of my favourites genus!!

Although we are missing Dunns pythons in the tags

Twiglet and Fangio had a beautiful Dunns python, I'll see if I can find the pic I took

Mack's are prob my favourite although I'd love to have the ever elusive fuscus one day

Just for those not sure on the genus

Liasis mackloti has 3 sub species:

L.m.mackloti (macklots python)
L.m.savuensis (savu or white eyed python)
L.m.dunni (dunns python)

Then you have Liasis olivaceous (olive python)
also liasis olivaceous barroni, the pilbarra olive python
And lastly Liasis fuscus (water python)

Apologies for the lack of italics...hard on an iPhone!
one more ssp.

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well done. A very rare speicies that is often over looked or forgoten about. Held one a few months back when I was in Oz and was blown away by how beautiful they are.

Back to topic ... I keep 1.1 Liasis fuscus. They are Fog Dam localitie from the Northen Territorie
Will post pics later.
really look forward to pics!! :2thumb:

and great pics all!...keep the opinions coming also! would be nice to dispel a lot of the myths about Liasis all being evil spawns of satan! :lol2:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts