Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been given 10 6x6" perspex display cubes. The only problem is that they don't have lids.

Could I use the method that mantis keepers use, stretching fine net across the top and securing it with and elastic band? This would limit me to dry loving species I know but 10 GBB's might look quite good in them.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe get some Perspex and make some? Would be quite easy to do
Cutting a square of perspex would be no problem. I am not sure how to fit this as a lid. It would just be floating on the top and not secure at all. I could try stick some 'ledges' on the inside edge of the top to allow the lid to sit on. But the cubes are fairly old and I don't know if this would affect the way the perspex would 'stick'.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Cutting a square of perspex would be no problem. I am not sure how to fit this as a lid. It would just be floating on the top and not secure at all. I could try stick some 'ledges' on the inside edge of the top to allow the lid to sit on. But the cubes are fairly old and I don't know if this would affect the way the perspex would 'stick'.
Or simply put a block of wood/plastic or whatever at each corner. With trial and error you could be able to get it quite snug :p

EDIT: Hope that makes sence :hmm:

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you cut 2 bits of Perspex, 1 the external size of the cubes and 1 the internal size of the cubes the stick the bits together and it should just sit on the cube and will not slide or move around. You could even rivet some hinges to 1 side to allow you to open or leave it so you lift off.

Do you understand how I mean?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you cut 2 bits of Perspex, 1 the external size of the cubes and 1 the internal size of the cubes the stick the bits together and it should just sit on the cube and will not slide or move around. You could even rivet some hinges to 1 side to allow you to open or leave it so you lift off.

Forget my idea, this one sounds better^^^^^ :whistling2:

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
the good thing about perspex is that the solvent used to bond it effects it in the same way no matter how old. It liquefies it and then the solvent evaporates leaving a bond

so bonding 2 or 4 ledges in there is your best bet.

steer clear of using any mesh other than metal with Ts...they will rip their way through it at some point

·
Registered
94 Posts
Or if you want to save Perspex because it can be expensive. Cut 1 piece external size and cut rips maybe 15mm wide and stick them to the lid around the perimeter of the internal size, basically the same just saves a little Perspex and you might have rips left over any way after cutting the lid

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or simply put a block of wood/plastic or whatever at each corner. With trial and error you could be able to get it quite snug :p

EDIT: Hope that makes sence :hmm:

Or if you want to save Perspex because it can be expensive. Cut 1 piece external size and cut rips maybe 15mm wide and stick them to the lid around the perimeter of the internal size, basically the same just saves a little Perspex and you might have rips left over any way after cutting the lid
All great ideas

the good thing about perspex is that the solvent used to bond it effects it in the same way no matter how old. It liquefies it and then the solvent evaporates leaving a bond

so bonding 2 or 4 ledges in there is your best bet.

steer clear of using any mesh other than metal with Ts...they will rip their way through it at some point
I've read a little on bonding perspex and watched a couple of videos. I may try this to see if it works. So it wouldn't affect the bond if the two pieces were from differing compounds? ie not made in the same decade?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
wouldnt matter if it was from a different era, a different colour, different thickness.

as long as you use DCM and not one of the cacky branded mixes it will be as permanent as the sheet its made from

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone I've got some good ideas now. I'll put some pics up when finished. If they're good enough they may go with the display. Amazing what some people would have thrown away! Easily 50 quids worth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts