Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please ignore the absurdity of the title ;)

I've just spent a fair amount of money on a much larger vivarium for my T. Annularis, its fully kitted out, like a lizardy penthouse suite when compared to his old one. My plan was to make the switch as stress-free as possible by simply placing the old viv inside the new one and then removing the lid (obviously) and letting him explore and get used to the new areas himself, in his own time. However, its getting slightly frustrating seeing him go right to the edge of his old viv, and seemingly chicken out before he takes the plunge and goes the extra centimeter! Starting to wonder why I even bothered with a lid in the first place ;D The annoying thing is that when I'm asleep I bet he goes right out and runs all over the place, and sits on the glass watching me poking his tongue out until he sees me waking up; at which point he promptly runs back into his usual viv and gives me funny looks so I'm none the wiser!

I'm just looking for a second opinion really, I'm prepared to leave the old viv in place until he's ready (the whole point is so its at his pace), just if any of you have any experience with how long it will take, any ideas on how to entice him out etc would be great :)

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
what does he eat and how do you fee him,
i was just thinking if he has food in a dish or even loose crickets you could pet food in the new viv so he has to explore the new area to get his food

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I just drop a few crix in most nights, with the occasional powdered one here and there. I will try this, trouble is, with Gizmo, he'll see them through his old viv and strike only to end up with a bump on the end of his nose :p He's a bit dense but shhh.. dont tell him ;D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
why dont you just pick him up and put him in the viv? :whistling2:
or am i missing something here lol

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
why dont you just pick him up and put him in the viv? :whistling2:
or am i missing something here lol
because he wants to let him do it in his own time to minimise stress which is fair enough if he is able to do that lol

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
because he wants to let him do it in his own time to minimise stress which is fair enough if he is able to do that lol
but surley it will be stressed anyway when he takes away its old home.
also surley the the fuss of pulling 1 viv out of the other while the lizard is still in the new viv is gonna freak it out bigtime.
surely that cant be less stressful than picking it up and moving it to another viv.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
well i geuss in a way your right lol

·
Registered
4,920 Posts

·
2,141 Posts
Where possible I've introduced all my reptile to new enclosure this way.

One of the biggest things to remember is that the new enclosure will smell different, what I tend to do it remove some of the furniture from the old housing and place it in the new one, it can take a week or more for them to venture but usually find them happily in the new space in a day or two.

Its great that your giving the repi the opportunity of a smoother rehousing, but perseverance is something you'll have to endure.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
lol i must admit that i wouldent do it like that :whistling2:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Everyone has their own way of doing things and each to their own.
yeah mate i totally agree with you there. i just cant get my head around why it would be less stressful thats all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replys :D

Last time I moved him into a vivarium he didn't eat or come out for a whole week. Also, the way I will remove the viv takes very little effort and causes very little disturbance, all I need to do is lift it slightly and draw it out of the double doors at the front. Nothing else needs moving etc. I'm hoping that when he is used to the new areas he wont mind the removal so much, as he is already familiar with the place and isn't just being dunked into alien surroundings.

Has he ventured out yet?
Sadly, No xD Getting closer every day though :p So fingers firmly crossed!

One of the biggest things to remember is that the new enclosure will smell different, what I tend to do it remove some of the furniture from the old housing and place it in the new one
Thanks for this ^^ Definitely worth a try :)

I'll keep everyone posted on how its going :)

Thanks again,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts