Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you don't need lighting for corns but..If you used a light for corns, what type of light would you use?

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only reason i'm thinking of it is when i finish building their vivs, 3 sides will be wood, so could get a bit dark, more for my advantage than theirs, so i can see where they are :p

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I've used a low wattage coloured spot bulb, attached to a dimmer thermostat. Albinos don't like bright lights.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! thats something i do need to keep in mind, my amel is albino apparently lol.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yep, snakes can be made blind by putting too strong a light in their tank, especially albinos...

use a low wattage light, have it directly above the snake (as the sun would be) and remember that corn snakes are "crepascular" which means they come out in low light levels at dawn and dusk.. they are not designed to sit in bright light all day

only have the light on, when you want to see.. not day in day out when no-one is looking

or, use a red light, as reps can't see in red light..

whatever you use, make sure its guarded so the snake cannot get to it. even a low wattage tube light gets quite warm.

Nerys

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, what i've thought of doing is (this viv i'm building has a false wall in the middle, so that for now i can keep both snakes in one viv but seperated) cutting out a block in the top back corner of the false wall, putting a cage in there and sticking the light in that. ?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i use a bog standard light bulb on a dimmerstat, connected to a timer on 13 hours, off 11 hours, that serves as a light and heat source, i've got a heat mat for night time when the bulb goes off, they dont need any uv, any bulbs need to covered with a guard as they get hot.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
With vivs that have ceramics I use 12w "nightlight" bulbs - just a standard light bulb but really low wattage so they don't put out much heat (still have them guarded though).

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you had one spare you could just use a light starter with a nice small tube in, wouldnt cost very much and should do the trick?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've read a bit recently about UV tubes/any bright light possibly being damaging to snakes eyes - not just albinos either.
So what ever light you use I'd say keep it to dim and avoid any strong UV tubes.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Trice, havent you got a snow corn,uv will damage its eyes like it would a albino, especially if its got pink eyes.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
all amals are albinos you fag :lol:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
alright :notworthy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts