Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a breeder and his 2011 breed are going to be ready in about 3 weeks.. I'm on the list for one and am beyond excited! I've started getting bits and pieces..
We've got a very large indoor rabbit cage, topsoil, cuttlefish, a ceramic plant pot, some ceramic saucers for water and food, some slate, stones, a little log bridge, hay, the calcium powder..

The only thing I'm struggling with seems to be lighting/heating.. Do you recommend a single combined bulb? Or a separate UVB and basking spotlight? Whichever you think, can you recommend a certain brand and place to get them from?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would recommend 100w or 160w arcadia combined bulb. Depends on what size the rabbit cage is though. I have a 160w arcadia combined bulb and my table is 2ft x 3ft, my room temps are around 20C and my table temps are 34C - 38C and cool end 22C - 24C.

I think as the rabbit cage has open sides I would be more inclined to get the 160w.

With the rabbit cage are you able to higher and lower the lamp to adjust the temps?

Also, if youre room is quite dark if I were you I would get an extra strip just to brighten the place up. I have an exo terra repti glo 2% uvb strip, there are many different sizes to suit different sizes of enclosures.

*EDIT sorry I would advise you to buy from Surrey Pet Supplies website - great prices. This is my set up excluding the strip. This set up should work with your rabbit cage.

REFLECTOR = http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/exo-terra-glow-light-large-25cm.html

BULB = http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/arcadia-d3-uv-basking-lamp-160w.html

STAND = http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/zoo-med-lamp-stand-standard-50-97cm-x-20-38cm-lf-20.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would recommend 100w or 160w arcadia combined bulb. Depends on what size the rabbit cage is though. I have a 160w arcadia combined bulb and my table is 2ft x 3ft, my room temps are around 20C and my table temps are 34C - 38C and cool end 22C - 24C.

I think as the rabbit cage has open sides I would be more inclined to get the 160w.

With the rabbit cage are you able to higher and lower the lamp to adjust the temps?

Also, if youre room is quite dark if I were you I would get an extra strip just to brighten the place up. I have an exo terra repti glo 2% uvb strip, there are many different sizes to suit different sizes of enclosures.
Thankyouu. There is quite a lot of room.. As its quite high and our tortoise will be very small.. Our cage is 119cm by 59cm floor space.. Due to space we're keeping the cage in the conservatory for the time being.. We've monitored the heat and the coldest it's been in there is 10degrees but ive read that the soil will hold some warmth.. I know it'll get warm in the summer but we're building an outdoor area once it warms up :) And if I'm not going to be here in the day I can move the cage easily into a room that will stay cooler.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes with the arcadia 160w, you can have it quite high and still get good temps!

However the room where you keep your little guy.... the temps need to be quite stable. I would say no cooler than perhaps 17C during the day?? However at night the temps can fall lower... I would say no more than 14C/15C. The lower the temps at night the longer your tort will take to warm up in morning and become active.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts

However the room where you keep your little guy.... the temps need to be quite stable. I would say no cooler than perhaps 17C during the day?? However at night the temps can fall lower... I would say no more than 14C/15C. The lower the temps at night the longer your tort will take to warm up in morning and become active.
thse temps are far to low

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
So I found a breeder and his 2011 breed are going to be ready in about 3 weeks.. I'm on the list for one and am beyond excited! I've started getting bits and pieces..
We've got a very large indoor rabbit cage, topsoil, cuttlefish, a ceramic plant pot, some ceramic saucers for water and food, some slate, stones, a little log bridge, hay, the calcium powder..

The only thing I'm struggling with seems to be lighting/heating.. Do you recommend a single combined bulb? Or a separate UVB and basking spotlight? Whichever you think, can you recommend a certain brand and place to get them from?
I would recommend either the arcadia d3 160 watt combined lamp or megaray , the basking spot should be around 35c and the cool end 22c during the day , at night i wouldn't let the temps drop below 20c , make sure you have a humid hide set up. Can i ask if your thh is a uk bred one , the reason i ask is Hamm show is 2 weeks away and there for sale there for 60 euro's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read numerous posts saying the temperature of the room shouldn't matter too much providing the temperature of the enclosure doesn't drop too much.. I've read 10 degrees is suitable roo temperature for the evening as places do get cooler at night than in the day.. And basking should be around 33degrees.. I have also been told by breeders that the soil will hold some warmth to it through the evening and that it should be fine as I will have the hay in a hut for the tortoise..

The other option is to buy separate bulbs and have one of the non-light emitting bulbs but I'm concerned about keeping that on all the time as it'll not let the enclosure cool down.. I did look at heat mats but have read about problems with those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would recommend either the arcadia d3 160 watt combined lamp or megaray , the basking spot should be around 35c and the cool end 22c during the day , at night i wouldn't let the temps drop below 20c , make sure you have a humid hide set up. Can i ask if your thh is a uk bred one , the reason i ask is Hamm show is 2 weeks away and there for sale there for 60 euro's
Yes it's a uk bred THH.. What's a Hamm show? And where is it?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I've read numerous posts saying the temperature of the room shouldn't matter too much providing the temperature of the enclosure doesn't drop too much.. I've read 10 degrees is suitable roo temperature for the evening as places do get cooler at night than in the day.. And basking should be around 33degrees.. I have also been told by breeders that the soil will hold some warmth to it through the evening and that it should be fine as I will have the hay in a hut for the tortoise..

The other option is to buy separate bulbs and have one of the non-light emitting bulbs but I'm concerned about keeping that on all the time as it'll not let the enclosure cool down.. I did look at heat mats but have read about problems with those.
10c at night is far to low , also you would be better without the hay , a warm humid hide for night time is the best option

·
Registered
33 Posts

Just to make this crystal clear i mean NO LOWER than 15C on a night. Not keep the temps at 14/15.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

I guess you must be really excited, Hermanni Hermanni are not easy to come by. You must aim at a reasonable temperature for your hatchlings. Red Foot Marg breeds lots of torties, I believe including Hermanni, so if he says 20c, then that would be about right for your baby at night. You do want it to be able to get up in the morning to feed, so if you don't have your CH on low all night. then a ceramic, or infra red on a habistat will help keep the temp constant for the night. Also you might think about having your tortoise in the house and not the conservatory, where the temp. can fall much lower. You also have the problem of a build up of heat when the sun is out and with a lamp on constantly, you could cook your tortoise. What sort of rodent cage do you have? You would be wise to give your tortoise as much natural light as possible. I have my babies in tables on the floor under a window and next to radiator. Hatchlings of only a couple of months need alot of supervision as they do tend to easily fall on their backs. Not wanting to put you off but do make sure you only use a jam jar lid for tiny ones and not a ceramic saucer.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Just to make this crystal clear i mean NO LOWER than 15C on a night. Not keep the temps at 14/15.
I am sorry but this is being extremely rude. Red foot marg is a well respected keeper on here, and knows his tortoise husbandry. And no keeper/poster on here should be shouted at.

It sounds as though the original keeper has been reading about ordinary hermans, who can take lower temps. Hermanni hermanni are a different sub species and need higher temps at nightime.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
...does that mean westerns are less hardy?. Surely H.Boettgeri is the better choicefor a novice? The different temperature tolerance is interesting..do boettgeris have amore northerly limit?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.