Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first corn and want to watch it moving around, are there any special types of bulb or lighting that would help as normal lights seem to spook it a little, at the mo it looks like it gets going around 7.30 ish, when it is dark in the room i have it in.

cheers

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
red/blue/purple bulbs snakes cant see them,so I've been told.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have an RP and i use a red light to heat the viv, I have a fluorescent (sp) bulb on between 9am-9pm. The red light bulb is on a stat and this normally gives off enough light to see her roaming around at night, whilst keeping the heat constant.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
im not all that convinced on snakes not being able to see red as when my stat has gone off and i turn the dial up to see my royal he bobs his head back into this hide as if he seen me or he might just see my shadow , as as for blue light i think there garbage as i had one on a red eye tree frog and couldnt see the bloody thing as it was still very dark.

i no i shouldnt ask this cos iv got a few snakes now but do u leave the heat lamp on 24/7 on a stat or not iv currently got mine running from 9am till 11pm but as were having cold weather now im thinking about leaving them on all the time and just having the light on a timer. also just bought 2 ceramic heat bulbs for my BRB and royal so i guess there better than bulbs for heat.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my mats are on 24/7 on mat stats.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
same thing i suppose i cant have mats as iv got a stack viv with 3 cages so should be ok to leave ceramics on all the time on a dimmer stat

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give the red a try and see what happens.

What are mat stats? (i know it may be a stupid question, but i am new at this)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
they control the temp of ur heat mats when the heat mat gets to the temp the stats either dimm back off and on or pulse back the the temp set on the dial.

u also get ones for bulbs

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers,

are they expensive? do you need special mats?

·
Registered
78 Posts
we were given alot of bad advice at the start and just used heat mats to heat our boas, since then matt at viper and vine advised us to use ceramics bulbs on thermostats to heat the tanks as heat mats just give floor heat and don't heat the air around the tank. They were a bit expensive but worth it. You need to buy a special holder for ceramic bulbs though as they melt anything else and make sure you get a guard to protect your snake.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
chalkie said:
we were given alot of bad advice at the start and just used heat mats to heat our boas, since then matt at viper and vine advised us to use ceramics bulbs on thermostats to heat the tanks as heat mats just give floor heat and don't heat the air around the tank. They were a bit expensive but worth it. You need to buy a special holder for ceramic bulbs though as they melt anything else and make sure you get a guard to protect your snake.
yeah we got told the same thing, something about pythons sensing heat from above and not below...........

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that, no UV for my rep then

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
no UV for snakes,no, but for some lizards,yes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts