Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have just got 2 yelow bellied sliders, they are in a 54 cm fish tank at mo (am being given a 3ft tank which i pick up later) have also bought a basking light an am using the uvb light that came with them tho i know its not strong enough, i am thinking of getting one of these mercury vapour bulbs but not sure how good they are or would i be best just sticking with the two seperate bulbs? the baskin light is a red one which i leave on all the time as i dont really want to put a heater in the water.

if anyone has any tips they would be much appriciated thanks x

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Ditch the red light and replace it with an ordinary spotlamp, you're aiming to replicate sunlight, which is not red! How old are the turts? They may not need heated water anyway.

Mercury Vapour lamps are much better than two seperates, it's the closest you can get to natural sunlight, Metal Halides may be worth looking at as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks will replace the bulb, they roughly bout 4 months old but still quite small the lady i got them off had them in a 12" tank with a tiny amount of water on a plate with a 5% uvb bulb soon as i saw them i knew i couldnt leave em there even tho its costing me a small fortune lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts