Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i have had my fish tank for 2 years now and i think iv had the bulbs for that long as well (could be less).
The other day the lights went off, when i realised they were off, i switched them back on and they came on for about 2 seconds (very very dim) then went off, i cant get them to work again and they do the same thing, come on for 2 seconds but very dim then go off. both lights were bought at the same time and both lights are doing the exact same thing, the lights are 18 watt tropical reflector bulbs so my question is...

is it the lights that are doing this and i need some new ones, or is it the light unit that may need repairing/ replacing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yeah you'll need to replace them, the tubes don't last forever. I bet there's black in the glass at each end.

Replace them, if they still don't work try replacing the starter, a white cylinder that screws into the ballast, they're only a couple of quid.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yep, black in both ends of both bulbs, am i best buying new bulbs first then? :)
If the tubes are black at both ends and two year old tubes that came with the tank... They need changing. As suggested already, the starter may also need replacing but the black ends on the tubes tells you that they are knackered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts