Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
i have a bd and for the past month ive been using a red light for his basking area i was told they can not see red would this affect him in anyway, als ive just changed the bulb over to a blue one and its alot brighter than the red would this be better for him or would it be better to get a normal bulb,im confused plz reply
thanks
sara :?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Sara,

I use a red basking bulb & he loves basking underneath it.

I've had my beardie now for 6 months & he looks fine & healthy with good growth.

I opted for a red basking bulb for when the uv light goes off at night to simulate night time.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Heya,
The only real downside to red light is that herps apparently cant see it. Therefore, if the room was particularly dark, your beardie may be less active during the day than it might be with a white light. You should be able to counter this with your UV tube light though, so I wouldnt have thought you would need to change anything. If your beardie acts sluggish and is inactive, this may be something to consider though - sometimes the best solutions are the most simple :)

The blue light, on the other hand, can be seen, so its no good for night time heat. They also tend not to emit much heat compared to the infrared bulbs (this is assuming you have one of the blue reptile "moon" lights and not a spotlight thats been coloured blue - like the ones in B&Q etc), so you may find it harder to maintain temps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Red lights are ok.. but it is often thought that white heat bulbs are better for bearded dragons because beardies seem to love bright light and associate the brightest place with the warmest place.
Another thing about using white lights is that you can use normal house hold spot lights which you can buy from BnQ for a LOT cheaper than pet shop red bulbs.
However white lights must not be used at night. If your house stays above 20 or so degree C at night your beardie will be fine with no heat source at night.
Hope that helps a bit :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I use a normal white 100 watt reflector bulb during the day and its turned off at night by a timer, i dont use any night time heater because my house doesnt get cold.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi
we used a normal bulb in his old viv we recently built a new viv and started using the 100w red bulb thought i would change it to the blu 100w bulb,think i might just buy him a clear bulb to be on the safe side
thanks for your replies
sara :D

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
they cant see red or blue [or if its untrue they can see both]
white light is the way to go as its what they prefer.

I think its best to always have to lights in there, one red one white, the red can be put on at night.....or if u can be bothered you icould manually change the bulb in the evenings.

Otherwise a heat mat does the job for night time heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts