Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So two of my vivs have damage to them where the snakes have been pooping/peeing. I was thinking that perhaps using some sort of laminate or plastic tiles would protect the bottom for a while longer. does anyone else do this? Any opinions etc?

Cheers

Chalky

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'm gonna be doing this when i kit out my boas viv. Just make sure you stick them down and seal well around all the edges otherwise water/urine will get under the cracks and will probably rot the wood quicker!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I should have been clearer. I'll still use bedding (Aspen) on top of the lining/tiling. I can't believe how much it costs though. Am thinking of tracking down a kitchen/bathroom fitter and getting any old crap they get rid of.

I assume a hot glue gun or similar can be used to fix this lining in place?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sorry I should have been clearer. I'll still use bedding (Aspen) on top of the lining/tiling. I can't believe how much it costs though. Am thinking of tracking down a kitchen/bathroom fitter and getting any old crap they get rid of.

I assume a hot glue gun or similar can be used to fix this lining in place?
A roll end of lino won't cost much at all. Aquarium silicone seal.

If you are just covering over a viv floor that has gone manky, all it will do is create mould under the lino.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A roll end of lino won't cost much at all. Aquarium silicone seal.

If you are just covering over a viv floor that has gone manky, all it will do is create mould under the lino.
Have you experienced this? I was planning on giving it a very good clean with a reptile safe disinfectant and then once dry putting the Lino over the bottom. Surly if air would be unable to get to the Viv surface mould couldn't grow?

I guess alternatively I could use plastic tiles just placed on the surface which would offer protection as well and this method would allow them to be lifted to facilitate cleaning underneath from time to time

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
pond seal is also a good one for sealing any viv floor,the best place to find anything like a good seal for the floor of the viv is anyshop thats business is floors. i have used in the past the stuff that is poured over the floors of bars and works very well but it very costly.lino works well also and can be got cheap and can be sealed with silicone but as ultraviolet has said if the floor has got manky you will need to replace the floor frist!!
also as mikevalince has pointed out make sure its sealed very well!!!:whistling2:

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Have you experienced this? I was planning on giving it a very good clean with a reptile safe disinfectant and then once dry putting the Lino over the bottom. Surly if air would be unable to get to the Viv surface mould couldn't grow?

I guess alternatively I could use plastic tiles just placed on the surface which would offer protection as well and this method would allow them to be lifted to facilitate cleaning underneath from time to time
if plastics tiles can be removed for cleaning piss can can get under to the floor!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

I've not experienced mould in any of my viv's, as I fit the lino and seal the viv when they are new.

It all depends just how bad the bottom of your viv is? if it is just surface wear and tear, you won't have any issues giving it a good clean then covering with lino and sealing, to make it last many years longer. If damp has got into the wood, you are just going to be covering over an issue that is going to keep rotting, getting mouldy, and smelling.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
As others have said make sure the vinyl is securely fixed with no gaps for water / urine to get under / behind it. I use aquarium silicone sealant. Heat pads are placed under the vinyl too. Here is a bank of vivs I did recently. These are an old bank made from sterling board which has been varnished to seal it. Sterling board is very strong and water resistant. The main problem with it though is it isn't a smooth surface so faeces and uric acid can be very difficult to clean off once they've dried on. Hence lining the floor and 3" up the side of the viv too. Makes it much easier to clean, especially in the corners. I then use either newspaper or aspen on top of the vinyl. There are removable pieces of glass that sit behind the sliding glass doors to keep the substrate in when the viv is opened.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've not experienced mould in any of my viv's, as I fit the lino and seal the viv when they are new.

It all depends just how bad the bottom of your viv is? if it is just surface wear and tear, you won't have any issues giving it a good clean then covering with lino and sealing, to make it last many years longer. If damp has got into the wood, you are just going to be covering over an issue that is going to keep rotting, getting mouldy, and smelling.

No my vivs just have small cracks appearing but no liquid damage. I use perspecs in my Malawi aquarium to protect the glass from the rocks. I may well get some of this instead as they can cut it to exactly the right size and it can just rest on the bottom thus producing a protective layer but which can still be removed.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
No my vivs just have small cracks appearing but no liquid damage. I use perspecs in my Malawi aquarium to protect the glass from the rocks. I may well get some of this instead as they can cut it to exactly the right size and it can just rest on the bottom thus producing a protective layer but which can still be removed.
In that case, I would personally go with the lino idea. It's so easy to fit, and as long as it is sealed properly you can stop any imminent rot immediately. I have lino that is still as good as new 10 years on. So it will be a one job fix it, if done properly.

The perspex would be just as bad as having no base protetion there at all, because if you are able to get it out, moisture is able to get under it between cleanings. So pretty pointless, unless you seal it in and make it a permanent fixture.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
I'm going to do my BRBs viv with lino tiles. iv noticed that some of the pound shops always seem to have them in. In packs of about 6/8 and they're about a foot square....so it wouldn't cost much at all to buy the lino needed to kit out even a very large viv. I'm also going to use these on my bci's vivs in a funky slate finish :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm going to do my BRBs viv with lino tiles. iv noticed that some of the pound shops always seem to have them in. In packs of about 6/8 and they're about a foot square....so it wouldn't cost much at all to buy the lino needed to kit out even a very large viv. I'm also going to use these on my bci's vivs in a funky slate finish :2thumb:
One sheet of lino is better. Tiles would work, but after time the glue can lift, and you don't get a water tight seal. You would not only need to seal the perameter, but you would also need to seal where the the tiles join. Which would be difficult to seal.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
One sheet of lino is better. Tiles would work, but after time the glue can lift, and you don't get a water tight seal. You would not only need to seal the perameter, but you would also need to seal where the the tiles join. Which would be difficult to seal.
i was thinking of maybe sealing the bottom with varnish, then glueing the tiles individually, then sealing the top with one or two coats of glue, varnish, sealent, something else - just to make it totally solid. With plenty of days/weeks inbetween for drying out layers. Only a thought i was having but i have got a shed full of kitchen lino too :lol2:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i was thinking of maybe sealing the bottom with varnish, then glueing the tiles individually, then sealing the top with one or two coats of glue, varnish, sealent, something else - just to make it totally solid. With plenty of days/weeks inbetween for drying out layers. Only a thought i was having but i have got a shed full of kitchen lino too :lol2:
I would personally scrap that thought. Way too much effort, for a job that wouldn't be as good as one sheet of lino. Take a trip to your shed : victory:

Also over time lino type tiles tend to go brittle and crack., where as a lino sheet doesn't.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
I would personally scrap that thought. Way too much effort, for a job that wouldn't be as good as one sheet of lino. Take a trip to your shed : victory:

Also over time lino type tiles tend to go brittle and crack., where as a lino sheet doesn't.
Well i suppose i don't want to put more effort in then needed :gasp:.....so a trip to the shed it is then :2thumb: (i always go the hard way about things normally lol)

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Great tips and ideas guys. Helping me get some thoughts together for what will probably be a custom built job for my burm. Deffo gotta make that water tight!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was just thinking about this myself, but I've just seen in a fabrics place near to my that they sell a waterproof table cloth type thingy (sorry for the technical terms) I was gonna give this a try, it's about £7 a metre.

John

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
As others have said make sure the vinyl is securely fixed with no gaps for water / urine to get under / behind it. I use aquarium silicone sealant. Heat pads are placed under the vinyl too. Here is a bank of vivs I did recently. These are an old bank made from sterling board which has been varnished to seal it. Sterling board is very strong and water resistant. The main problem with it though is it isn't a smooth surface so faeces and uric acid can be very difficult to clean off once they've dried on. Hence lining the floor and 3" up the side of the viv too. Makes it much easier to clean, especially in the corners. I then use either newspaper or aspen on top of the vinyl. There are removable pieces of glass that sit behind the sliding glass doors to keep the substrate in when the viv is opened.

tidy job!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts