Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: victory: well im gettin a baby BD and am thinking of putting lino on the floor of the viv,if any of you have lino in any of ur vivs would you please post pics so i can see what it looks like,am trying to get design ideas for the viv.... also is it easier to clean than other substrate and can crickets get underneath it???? thanks in advance : victory:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry peeps am jus bumpin it up....im sorry if im a pain im jus inquisitive:)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I don't have any vivs with it in anymore so i can't provide a picture, sorry.

It is easy to clean as you can just wipe it. It also makes the viv bottom water resistant so you have no leaks.

I secured ours by having the lino on the bottom come up the sides 2 inches, i then spread silicone around the edges with some on the centre of the bottom aswell.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the veardie wil prob b about 2-3months old when i get it....someone said ill only need a 3ft viv but im getting 4ft as im going to build steps up one side with a platfform for basking at top,was thinking of self adhisive lino tiles but not sure wether glue would be toxic or not,but whatever lino i use im going to cover steps with it to,am getting 4ft as dont want to loose too much floor space once steps are in....does that make sence and does n does it sound ok ?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I wouldnt go with the tiles, only because the more seams you have the more chance there will be that they will come unstuck. A solid piece all the way means less corners to catch and come up.
When it comes to glue, use aquarium sealant - saves any problems that way.

The viv sounds fine :D

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im so excitied hehe...found a place where i can get complete wooden 4ft set up for 240 quid and cuz im strapped for cash atm having lost my job the bloke at shop said i can do it in weekly payments,im also going to make a triangular box to go in corner as a sand pit when its older...is there any particular wood that can or cant b used? or any steps i have to take b4 i can put it in there.... ie: cleaning wood etc....

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
It would be a bit of work but if you made the pit out of small rocks and pebbles, glued together with silicone it would look great.

Just use the silicone like cement and then while it's still wet you could sprinkle sand over it to hide the silicone.
Just get a piece of hardboard in the shape you want and then build up the sides like a wall.

Could look very good in a desert viv.

Just a thought :lol2:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i jus fell in luv with ya lol thats a fab idea? would it have 2 be any parrticular stones or pebbles or jus grab em out the garden and clean them ?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
LOL - glad i could help.

The stones don't need to be anything special. Just soak them in bleach for a while, rinse them off, let them dry and then you can use them.

If you go to somewhere like B&Q they will have some diff types. Just take a few "samples" to add some diff colours. As long as you ask they don't usually mind. Just say it's for your garden or something :D

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
could i use stones'pebbles with the sealent anywhere in the viv as like a decorative thing.and is the sealand pretty sturdy once dry? i was thinking i could use stones as walls on the pit use hard wood for the base and top and add some slate pieces to the top.....now look what youve started lol. can u think of anything i could put in the pit to start with,or could i use it as a hide, id rather put pit in from beginning so it gets used to it rather than stressing it and adding it later...i dont think i'll risk sand untill its 12mths old.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
You can use it anywhere you want, even near the heater as the silicone has a high melting point (well above beardy basking temps).

Once dry the sealant is stable enough for you to use with no problems at all.

There is no reason at all you couldn't use it as a hide. If you wanted to do away with the wood completely and use slate instead you could, quite happily.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I would suggest not using glue as many are water based. The combination of heat and extra water is likely to cause the structure to fail.

Use a silicone sealant as this isn't water based and has no problems with the sort of temperatures we use in vivariums.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i might use wood at the bottom and some skirting board around the edges cuz so that when i do put sand in it doesnt spill out every where but then wil put slate inside then sand on top of that.i might use slate for the roof....i know this might be stupid ques but it wont collapse when beardie is fully grown( incase it takes to climbing it or something ) ????? my mind is working over time here,drawing out sketches of ideas...lol....how sad am i ???? its nice coming on here cuz none of my friends keeps reps so they dont understand how fascinating they are

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Not sad at all, i'd be suprised if every keeper doesnt go through this at some stage.

A good piece of slate (ie something like a roofing tile) will be just fine, it is tough stuff.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im jus all excited hehehehe :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
if your sad what must of the rest of us be,its at least 2 weeks still i can start mine,and i spend all day working out in my head

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
i use lino tiles for my viv's but i have leo's in those , looks good , its easy to clean

no pics sorry , i broke th digi cam:yeahright:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont mean sad in a bad way.its gonna be about 4-5weeks before i can get my viv im so impatient..i want everything yesterday :D and body else have any good tips/advice for a beardie viv? ?? : victory:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
When choosing lino go for one with a stippled effect as better for grip. you can get ones with pebbles on but neutral is prob best.

Can also recomend a wet grip and seal adhesive (make sure its solvent free) you can then stick and seal all the edges and even fill a bit if your cut is a bit wonky. I have pics of mine if you want to see some. can look back at my earlier threads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts